M5 named one of England’s favourite roads
- Credit: Archant
An online survey has named the M5 motorway as one of England’s favourite roads to drive on.
The poll by Highways England asked people to name their favourite stretch of road and the M5 came between Yatton and Taunton came in third place.
The M6 in the North West, near Cumbria, and the M1 in Leicestershire, near Lutterworth, finished in joint first place.
It comes ahead of the late May bank holiday when Highways England lifts as many roadworks as possible.
In March, the Mercury reported the southbound stretch approaching junction 19 at Portishead is considered the worst stretch of motorway in North Somerset for traffic delays, with drivers clocking 58.8mph on average, but the stretch between Weston (junction 21) and Burnham (junction 22) was the fastest at 71mph.
You may also want to watch:
The southbound slip-road at junction 19 is notorious for delays in the evening as commuters try to get home from Bristol.
- 1 Weston will get a bowling alley next year
- 2 Puxton Park pumpkin patch now open
- 3 WIN: Tickets to The Magic Of Motown
- 4 Yeo Valley extends open days for award-winning garden
- 5 Meet the owners of Weston's only seafood restaurant
- 6 New principal appointed at academy
- 7 Man jailed for knife possession offence
- 8 Five sites get Green Flag status
- 9 Doctors could be under pressure if changes to surgery boundaries are not implemented
- 10 Executive four-bedroom nearly-new house near town centre