M5 reopened after serious incident
- Credit: Paul Knight
Traffic was at a standstill on the M5 after a major accident.
All six lanes of the motorway have been re-opened and traffic is moving slowly in both directions, following a crash earlier in the day.
All three lanes on the northbound carriageway between junction 21, Weston-super-Mare, and junction 22, Edithmead, were blocked following an accident in which a vehicle overturned.
The incident is believed to have involved a 4x4 and a caravan.
South West Ambulance Service confirmed 'two patients have been taken to hospital with minor injuries.'
You may also want to watch:
A spokesman said: "We were called at 11.59am about a road traffic incident, reportedly involving two vehicles, on the M5 northbound near junction 21.
"We've sent an air ambulance, a hazardous area response team, and another paramedic to attend the incident."
- 1 North Somerset Covid case rate at its highest
- 2 Large-scale offshore rig to be built at Weston's Tropicana next year as part of UK-wide project
- 3 Claim for judicial review delays school expansion for vulnerable children
- 4 New principal appointed at academy
- 5 Cheddar 'pump track' approved and new facility could be in place next year
- 6 Executive four-bedroom nearly-new house near town centre
- 7 Weston pub to undergo renovations to restore 19th century look
- 8 Halloween 2021: What Halloween events are taking place in North Somerset?
- 9 Weston will get a bowling alley next year
- 10 Weston families 'deciding between keeping children warm or fed'
The North-bound carriageway was closed for several hours while emergency services worked to clear the wreckage, and reopened just after 2.30pm
The southbound lane was also closed briefly to allow the air ambulance to land.
Traffic was i diverted along the A38 and A370 which also caused delays.