M5 reopened after serious incident
- Credit: Paul Knight
Traffic was at a standstill on the M5 after a major accident.
All six lanes of the motorway have been re-opened and traffic is moving slowly in both directions, following a crash earlier in the day.
All three lanes on the northbound carriageway between junction 21, Weston-super-Mare, and junction 22, Edithmead, were blocked following an accident in which a vehicle overturned.
The incident is believed to have involved a 4x4 and a caravan.
South West Ambulance Service confirmed 'two patients have been taken to hospital with minor injuries.'
You may also want to watch:
A spokesman said: "We were called at 11.59am about a road traffic incident, reportedly involving two vehicles, on the M5 northbound near junction 21.
"We've sent an air ambulance, a hazardous area response team, and another paramedic to attend the incident."
- 1 Worle resident left with maggot-infested bins during heatwave
- 2 Versatile extended cottage with annexe in rural village
- 3 Electrical appliance retailer opens appliance showroom
- 4 Council hopes to reopen Weston Marine Lake later this week
- 5 Could self-driving pods be the future of Weston?
- 6 Disruptions to your journey by car across North Somerset
- 7 LOVE ISLAND 2021: Weston's Jake Cornish makes it official with Liberty
- 8 Overnight A&E closures continue at hospital
- 9 Covid warning issued in North Somerset
- 10 Popular Weston restaurant closes after nearly 60 years
The North-bound carriageway was closed for several hours while emergency services worked to clear the wreckage, and reopened just after 2.30pm
The southbound lane was also closed briefly to allow the air ambulance to land.
Traffic was i diverted along the A38 and A370 which also caused delays.