Magic’s death - owner’s alert

PUBLISHED: 09:00 11 December 2010

Proceeds will go towards the Brent Knoll rescue centre

Proceeds will go towards the Brent Knoll rescue centre

Archant

A DEVASTATED family who lost their cat to suspected antifreeze poisoning are warning other pet owners to be on their guard.

Ieuan Day, aged 44, found his one-year-old cat crawling in to the front door of his Pastures Avenue home being sick and rushed the animal to the vets.

After tests it was found Magic had a high level of antifreeze in his body, and he was put on a drip until he was put down two days later, on November 23.

Now, Mr Day and his two children are warning other pet owners and people who use the toxic chemical to be aware of its danger.

The message comes two years after a spate of antifreeze poisoning of pets in the Weston and Worle area.

Mr Day, a project manager, said: “I know many people don’t like cats going on their garden, but please don’t poison the poor souls.

“You can chase them away, call the owner, but to use antifreeze is just evil.

“Of course, I know this may have not been intentional, but all the same, I’d warn other pet owners to be on their guard against this.”

The family, who bought Magic from a rescue home in January, have another cat which they are now keeping a closer eye on.

Mr Day added: “It’s difficult because cats like to go walkabout and you can often not see them for the whole day. But we’re trying to watch out for our cat after what has happened, because it really devastated the whole family.”

Mr Day contacted the RSPCA following Magic’s death and was told the incident was not uncommon.

Officers explained that as well as intentional poisoning, some cats drink antrifreeze which has dripped from cars or been placed in garden water ornaments.

Most Read

Latest from the Weston Mercury

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists