Major application gets green light
PUBLISHED: 13:00 26 July 2012
COUNCILLORS have approved the second phase of a £400million development - after a list of amendments was made to the planning application.
The proposals to build more homes at the former RAF Locking site came under close scrutiny at North Somerset Council’s south area committee on Thursday.
Councillors, some reluctantly, agreed to approve the plans, which had revised parking and waste management arrangements.
Last month North Somerset Council’s deputy leader Elfan Ap Rees called in developer St Modwen’s application to begin the second phase of home building at the site.
He said the firm had to do more to create employment – a key stipulation in its initial agreement between the authority and the developer – and the application could be sent back to the drawing board if councillors at the south area planning committee deemed it unsatisfactory.
An additional condition approved on Thursday said developers had to make sure a 639sqm office building that was previously approved must be ready for occupation before anyone can move into the houses.
Speaking last month, Cllr Ap Rees said his main concern was that he was yet to see any employment generated at the site. But Cllr Ap Rees said at Thursday’s meeting: “This has got to be an exemplar development.
“The first phase was of a good, acceptable standard.
“I was concerned originally, but now it seems to be moving in the right direction.”
Developers will also have to contribute £750,000 towards community facilities as part of the agreement.
Cllr Tim Marter added at the meeting: “I think we need to be more robust in our employment strategy.”
The second phase of the £400million Locking Parklands development will see 150 homes built at the former air base.