Couple suffer multiple injuries after bridge collision
- Credit: Gareth Newnham
A man and woman in their 60s suffered multiple injuries after a collision with a car on Hildesheim Bridge in Weston-super-Mare this morning (Friday).
The incident happened at around 2.30am and their injuries are not believed to be life-threatening.
A man was later arrested in Burnham in connection with the incident.
Police closed two lanes on the bridge, which lead away from town, to investigate the scene earlier today.
The bridge has since been reopened and one lane is cordoned off while North Somerset Council workers clear debris from the area.
You may also want to watch:
An Avonn and Somerset police spokesman said: "We were called at 2.28am this morning after a car collided with two pedestrians on Hildesheim Bridge, on the A370 in Weston, and failed to stop at the scene.
"The pedestrians, a man and a woman both aged in their 60s, have been taken to hospital with multiple injuries which are not believed to be life-threatening.
- 1 Engaged couple thank new friends for 'special' night at Weston restaurant
- 2 Teenager charged with murder in Weston
- 3 Recycling centres set to be 'very busy' due to ease in lockdown restrictions
- 4 Council keen to hear from villagers on road safety plans
- 5 Popular food festival returns to Weston this weekend
- 6 Dreaming of reaching the Olympic Games with Isabel Blackhurst
- 7 Will garden village be revived?
- 8 Arrest made following death of man in Weston attack
- 9 Events in Weston and beyond to look forward to this summer
- 10 Drink-driver jailed after causing serious injuries to Weston couple
"A man was later arrested in Burnham in connection with the incident.
"Hildesheim Bridge was closed while specialist investigators examine the scene.
"Enquiries are ongoing."