Couple suffer multiple injuries after bridge collision
- Credit: Gareth Newnham
A man and woman in their 60s suffered multiple injuries after a collision with a car on Hildesheim Bridge in Weston-super-Mare this morning (Friday).
The incident happened at around 2.30am and their injuries are not believed to be life-threatening.
A man was later arrested in Burnham in connection with the incident.
Police closed two lanes on the bridge, which lead away from town, to investigate the scene earlier today.
The bridge has since been reopened and one lane is cordoned off while North Somerset Council workers clear debris from the area.
You may also want to watch:
An Avonn and Somerset police spokesman said: "We were called at 2.28am this morning after a car collided with two pedestrians on Hildesheim Bridge, on the A370 in Weston, and failed to stop at the scene.
"The pedestrians, a man and a woman both aged in their 60s, have been taken to hospital with multiple injuries which are not believed to be life-threatening.
- 1 Large-scale offshore rig to be built at Weston's Tropicana next year as part of UK-wide project
- 2 Weston pub to undergo renovations to restore 19th century look
- 3 North Somerset risks 43,000 false-negative PCRs after lab mix up
- 4 PICTURES: Runners brave the elements at Weston Super Half
- 5 Weston families 'deciding between keeping children warm or fed'
- 6 Council rejected for grant to preserve Iron Age monument
- 7 Wheelchair Rugby Gold medallist surprises Weston pupils
- 8 Weston will get a bowling alley next year
- 9 Bleadon-cold: Council's gritters return with sustainable fuel
- 10 Man jailed for knife possession offence
"A man was later arrested in Burnham in connection with the incident.
"Hildesheim Bridge was closed while specialist investigators examine the scene.
"Enquiries are ongoing."