Man dies after first floor fall
A PENSIONER from Weston who suffered from alcoholism and depression is believed to have jumped from a first floor window after months of trouble from noisy neighbours, an inquest heard. Terrence Jukes, aged 65, lived in Knightstone House, Lower Bristol Ro
A PENSIONER from Weston who suffered from alcoholism and depression is believed to have jumped from a first floor window after months of trouble from noisy neighbours, an inquest heard.Terrence Jukes, aged 65, lived in Knightstone House, Lower Bristol Road, but had not been sleeping due to noise from nearby pubs and Weston's Playhouse theatre.He had even called the police out on one occasion to investigate disturbances. On June 22 he bumped into two old friends, Dianne and David Penfold, and told them the trouble he was having and they invited him to stay at their guest house in Locking Road.He went back with the couple to the Anne-Marie Guest House and hired a room for the night but was found dead beneath his first floor window by a passer-by at 4.20am the next day.Speaking at an inquest held at the Court House in Flax Bourton Detective Constable Phillip Aspinall said Mr Jukes' walking stick had been found in the room by the open window as if he had used it to walk to the spot.Blood was also found on a broken cup and the lens from a pair of sunglasses and Mr Aspinall said Mr Jukes had injuries on his body suggesting he had self harmed.A post mortem revealed Mr Jukes had died from a fractured neck after falling from the window.Deputy coroner for Avon, Richard Whitehouse, said to record a verdict of suicide he had to be satisfied beyond reasonable doubt that Mr Jukes killed himself and intended to do so. He said: "I think on the balance of probability it's more likely than not that he intended to kill himself but it's not sufficient to record a verdict of suicide." Mr Whitehouse recorded an open verdict.Speaking after the inquest, Mr Jukes' son Carl said: "I spoke to my dad once a week and he had told me there were some kids playing him up and he had phoned the police. He went to the guest house to get away from it. We found headphones in his apartment where he'd tried to block out the noise."It was such a shock when it happened, but we've had so much support from his friends in Weston and we'd like to say a big thank you to them. He was trustworthy, honest, loyal and fun and a proud Englishman. But unfortunately he always had a problem with alcohol.