Man dies after New Year assault
A 24-YEAR-OLD man has died following an assault in Cheddar.
Police were called to a take away in the village at 2am on New Year’s Day following reports of an assault.
The police helicopter also attended the scene and a man, named locally as James Hewlett, was taken to Frenchay Hospital with serious head injuries but later died.
A 20-year-old man was arrested in connection with the incident.
Police are appealing for information and anyone who can help should call officers on 0845 456 7000 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555111.
You may also want to watch:
Detective inspector Guy Turner said: “We know there were people in the area at the time following New Year celebrations.
“It is imperative we speak to these people as they may have information that could be vital to this investigation.”
- 1 Second rapid testing centre unveiled in Weston
- 2 Man charged in connection with county lines drug dealing in Weston
- 3 Weston accountant sees business thrive during lockdowns
- 4 Civic society 'appalled' by new health centre proposed site
- 5 Pharmacy near Weston begins Covid vaccinations
- 6 Secondary school to expand to second site expected to cost £30million
- 7 Virus 'ripping through' Weston care homes
- 8 Housing development for greenfield site in Nailsea approved
- 9 Council says it is aware of rat problem in Weston
- 10 Attempted robbery prompts police appeal