Man dies in flat fire
- Credit: Burnham fire and Rescue
A man has died after a fire tore through his flat.
Police and fire Officers are investigating the cause of the fatal blaze which started at the rear of a commercial property in Market Street, Highbridge at just after 11am, yesterday (Friday).
Crews from Burnham-on-Sea, Bridgwater, and Taunton tackled the fire, which had spread from a storage area to the flat, for almost four hours, finally extinguishing it at 2.45pm.
An Avon and Somerset Constabulary spokesman said: "The occupant of the flat - a man - sadly died.
"We are treating the death as unexplained and enquiries into the incident continue."
You may also want to watch:
A Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue spokesman told the Mercury the two-storey flat had received 90 per cent fire and 100 per cent smoke damage.
They said: "Crews used two hose reel jets and six breathing apparatus to extinguish the fire.
- 1 Canadian coffee and doughnut specialist has diner plans approved
- 2 Weston gymnast, 15, makes GB history
- 3 Weston MP and mayor attend anniversary ball
- 4 High Court grants new inquest into death of baby boy
- 5 Pretty character cottage in rural village
- 6 PICTURES: Princess Anne visits Weston-super-Mare
- 7 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 8 NHS calls for North Somerset residents to get Covid booster
- 9 Could we face coronavirus restrictions over Christmas?
- 10 Mayor quizzed by Weston's youngest reporters
"The cause of the fire is still being investigated."
The adjoining road was also closed for several hours while emergency services dealt with the fire.