Man in his 70s in hospital after kitchen fire in Weston-super-Mare

PUBLISHED: 16:45 11 December 2017

The fire broke out in Bristol Road Lower. Picture: Google Street View

The fire broke out in Bristol Road Lower. Picture: Google Street View

Google Street View

An elderly man has been taken to hospital suffering from smoke inhalation after a fire broke out in his flat in Weston-super-Mare.

Four fire engines attended the building in Bristol Road Lower at 1.30pm today (Monday).

The man, aged in his 70s, had escaped from his flat before crews arrived but had inhaled smoke.

He was checked over by the ambulance crews before being taken to hospital as a precaution.

The fire had broken down in his kitchen, on the third floor of his flat.

The blaze caused some damage to the kitchen and extensive smoke damage throughout the rest of the flat.

Crews from Avon Fire and Rescue Service also walked a woman from a neighbouring flat to safety after she breathed in smoke.

She was checked at the scene but did not need further medical care.

The cause of the fire will be investigated.

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Most Read

Latest from the Weston Mercury

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists