Man rescued from burning building

PUBLISHED: 18:57 21 September 2013 | UPDATED: 19:02 21 September 2013

Archant

A WESTON man was saved from a burning building after an initial rescue mission from two members of the public.

A woman made a call to Avon Fire and Rescue service yesterday (Fri) at around 8.37am when she saw smoke coming from a bungalow in Ennerdale Close.

She made her way around the property and was later joined by a man.

They believed someone was inside the house and the man forced his way through a front window of the home.

When he got inside he was faced with thick smoke in the living room and could not get in any further, and made his way back out.

Three crews from Weston arrived shortly after and firefighters made their way through the same window. After a short search they found a man on the floor of the living room, which was filled with thick smoke.

They rescued the man and he was then treated by paramedics, before being taken to hospital suffering from the effects of smoke inhalation.

An Avon Fire and Rescue spokesman said: “His condition is believed to be ok thanks to the efforts of the members of the public and firefighters in quickly rescuing him from the property, which no doubt saved the man’s life.”

The fire started in the bedroom, caused by a cigarette.

The spokesman added: “Fires by smoke materials are the result of most deaths in households. Anyone who does smoke please make sure all materials are safely extinguished and make sure all smoke alarms are fitted and checked on a regular basis.”

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Weston Mercury

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists