Man's death caused by electrocution
30.1107 1pm - A GRIEVING wife has told how she found her husband lying dead in their back garden only three days after returning from their honeymoon.
A GRIEVING wife has told how she found her husband lying dead in their back garden only three days after returning from their honeymoon.
A statement from Susanne Scott Price was read out during the inquest into the death of Martin Price, who died on his wife's birthday after electrocuting himself while mowing the lawn.
Mr Price, of Saville Road, Weston, had been in a relationship with Susanne for more than five years and they had only been married for 25 days when he died on July 11 this year.
In her statement Mrs Price said her husband had come to see her at work in the morning and that was the last time she saw him before finding him at home at around 5pm.
You may also want to watch:
She said: "I saw him lying on the grass and told him to stop mucking around.
"Then I saw the cable on top of him and realised what had happened."
- 1 Man charged with two counts of attempted murder
- 2 Drink-driver jailed after causing serious injuries to Weston couple
- 3 April 12 opening day: Sovereign Centre plans to shake-up Weston high street
- 4 Inadequate care home responds
- 5 Weston Marine Lake outdoor swimming plans reach key milestone
- 6 Weston restaurants reopening outside on April 12
- 7 Proposal to reduce traffic on rural roads withdrawn
- 8 April 12 reopening: Weston shops preparing for spending spree
- 9 Tropicana confirms re-opening plans with first outdoor event
- 10 North Somerset antisocial behaviour orders come into force
When paramedics arrived Mr Price, aged 48, was pronounced dead at the scene.
The former painter and decorator has three sons from a previous marriage, Adam, aged 24, 20-year-old Alex and William, aged 16.
His parents, Brian and Gloria Price, sister Alison Yianni and brother Jerry Price were at the inquest on November 29, along with his 39-year-oldwife.
Evidence from electrician, Keith Baber, revealed that a faulty extension cable was to blame for Mr Price's death.
He said: "It seems the two extension cables had come apart while Mr Price was mowing the lawn.
"One of the leads looks as though it had been altered at some point, which meant the pins on the end of the cable plugged into the mains power supply were live and would have shocked anyone who touched them."
Deputy coroner, Brian Whitehouse, said: "This is a very sad case. Whose error it was we don't know as there is no evidence for that.
"I would like to offer the family my condolences."
A formal verdict of accidental death was reached at the inquest.
A number of tributes were left on the Weston & Somerset Mercury website following Mr Price's death.
To leave one log onto the obituaries section at www.thewestonmercury.co.uk