Young musicians from schools presented with awards
- Credit: Archant
Talented musicians have seen their efforts rewarded.
Mendip Rotary Club’s young musician competition was held at Sidcot School and instrumentalists and singers from schools in the Cheddar Valley were invited to take part.
The competition was judged by professional musicians Barry Rose and David Cheetham.
In the over-15 age group, trumpeter Nina Tyrrell, a student at Kings of Wessex Academy, was named musician of the year and was also awarded the cup for the best overall performance, while Yuying Fan, a 10-year old pianist, scooped the under-15’s gong.
Pianist Hannah Coulton, of Priory Community School, won the Cartrine Bassil cup for outstanding musical potential.
You may also want to watch:
Awards organiser Roger Burdock said: “It is wonderful to know there is such a wealth of young musical talent in the area and we hope this will encourage others to take part next year.”
- 1 PICTURES: New Aldi store opens in shopping district
- 2 Poignant artwork installed on Weston beach
- 3 Weston chosen as a ‘priority place’ in bid to transform the country through culture
- 4 Second school site gets approval despite opposition
- 5 Bake Off stars to host afternoon tea in North Somerset this weekend
- 6 Two free festivals to bring top acts and 'extraordinary events' to Weston
- 7 Day of Ibiza club classics to be performed in Weston this weekend
- 8 CCTV appeal after man seriously assaulted in Weston
- 9 Luxurious three-bedroom house overlooking Weston seafront
- 10 Children encouraged to take up Covid jab