Missing paedophile escapes for third time
PUBLISHED: 09:55 11 January 2012 | UPDATED: 11:51 11 January 2012
A MISSING paedophile, who has been locked up for nearly 50 years after an indecent assault on a seven-year-old girl, is still on the run this morning (Wed), as it emerges this is the third time he has escaped custody.
Police put out a second appeal yesterday to track down David Marker, who they believe may be in Weston, as details of his past were made public.
Marker, aged 75, had been detained since the assault in Plymouth in 1965 and a spokesman for Avon and Somerset police said he is a ‘risk’ to the public because of his previous criminal record.
The pensioner fled from a hospital unit in Taunton on Monday morning, although police originally said he had been in a care home.
Despite concerns over the danger he may pose to the public, Marker has managed to escape three times in the past 15 years.
He went missing in 1997 after absconding from a secure hospital in Yorkshire and the following year, he also managed to escape while on a day trip to a swimming pool in Manchester.
Detective Chief Inspector Nicholas Papucka has asked the public to be vigilant.
He said: “David Marker is considered a risk due to his previous offending history.
“If you see David Marker dial 999 immediately so that he can be returned to the facility as soon as possible.”
He is a white man, 5ft 9ins with short grey hair. He had grey stubble and glasses and was last seen wearing a navy coat, dark trousers and a white shirt.
Anyone who has seen him should contact the police immediately.