Motorcyclist in crash is named
11.30am. 21.11.07- A MOTORCYCLIST who died near Cheddar on Monday has been named by police.
A MOTORCYCLIST who died near Cheddar on Monday has been named by police.
David Howe, aged 39, from Cheddar was riding his blue Yamaha motorbike and travelling west along Draycott Road in the direction of Cheddar at 6.35pm on Monday.
As he left Draycott, David accelerated and overtook a vehicle but when he moved to the nearside of the road it is believed he clipped the kerb, causing him to lose control of the vehicle.
The bike and rider slid across the road before colliding with the front of an oncoming Nissan Navara, which catapulted the rider and bike back onto the nearside lane.
You may also want to watch:
David was rushed to Weston General Hospital but he was pronounced dead on arrival.
The incident happened on the A371, Draycott Road, outside Mole End Nursery.
- 1 10 beauty spots in North Somerset
- 2 Disruptions to your journey by car across North Somerset
- 3 Forest preschool and holiday club set to open on outskirts of Weston
- 4 Michael Eavis, Weston Mayor and former football players at pier fundraiser
- 5 Have your say on plans for new GP surgery on Weston Rugby Club site
- 6 Weston hotel destroyed by fire to be redeveloped this year
- 7 Wind and water sports in Weston
- 8 Have you seen wanted man Frazer Englefield?
- 9 PICTURES: New supermarket opens at shopping district
- 10 Funeral directors set up new Weston branch
David's parents, Betty and Edward Howe live in Cheddar and as the Somerset Mercury went to press, an inquest into his death was expected to be opened and adjourned.
Police confirmed yesterday (Wed) that a post mortem had not yet been carried out and the family will be issuing a press statement and photograph in a few days.
The road policing unit has put out an appeal for witnesses. Officers would like to hear from anyone who may have been travelling along the A371 on Monday at the time of the road traffic incident who may have seen the motorcycle and may have information to help with their investigation.
Anyone able to help is asked to contact the collision investigation unit on 0845 4567000.
*For updates to this story and to leave a tribute for David log on to www.thewestonmercury.co.uk