Mum and baby escape fire

PUBLISHED: 10:05 19 January 2012 | UPDATED: 10:11 19 January 2012

The mother was only alerted by her smoke alarm

The mother was only alerted by her smoke alarm

Archant

A MOTHER and her baby escaped after a candle started a fire at their Worle home last night.

Firefighters were called to the home in Knight Close at around 11.23pm last night, and found a 29-year-old woman and her 19-month-old baby, had already fled the flat.

Two firefighters wearing breathing apparatus used a high pressure hose reel to bring the fire under control, while a positive pressure ventilation fan was then used to clear the property of smoke.

A spokesman for Avon Fire and Rescue said the fire started because a lit candle had been left on a windowsill next to some curtains, after the occupants had gone to sleep.

They were only alerted to the danger when their smoke alarm went off, allowing them to escape and call 999.

The spokesman said: “We would like to stress the importance of working smoke alarms. Had there not been an alarm in this case it may have been very different.

“We would also like to remind people to take care when using candles.

“Never leave them burning and unattended, as they can get hot and then set fire to nearby furnishings.”

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Weston Mercury

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists