Mum's house goes up in flames

PUBLISHED: 08:41 20 October 2010

Naomi Carter, aged 26, mum-of-two. Her house burnt down on Sunday. Her & her children Layton and Paris Dunn are homeless. 83 Pasters Avenue. St Georges.

Naomi Carter, aged 26, mum-of-two. Her house burnt down on Sunday. Her & her children Layton and Paris Dunn are homeless. 83 Pasters Avenue. St Georges.

Archant

A 'TERRIFIED' mum-of-two who returned home to find her home engulfed in flames quickly alerted neighbours before helping pull children out of windows.

Naomi Carter, aged 26, mum-of-two. Her house burnt down on Sunday. Her & her children Layton and Paris Dunn are homeless. 83 Pasters Avenue. St Georges.

Naomi Carter of St Georges, who had no insurance, had a lucky escape after an electrical fault with her fridge caused a fire which destroyed her home early Sunday morning.

The 26-year-old had popped back home after a house party at a friends to collect a change of clothes at about 2.30am.

But as she opened her front door she was greeted with huge flames and loud bangs as the surge of oxygen accelerated the blaze causing the windows explode outwards.

Naomi, whose children Paris, aged six and Layton Dunn, aged eight, were staying with their father, said: “I was just horrified with what I saw, my house, everything I own, just going up in flames. I had no insurance so I have lost everything.

St Georges house fire 4

“All the kids clothes, photos, birthday presents for my daughter’s birthday next week, wedding money for my sister, little presents I had started collecting for Christmas, all gone. Everything was destroyed.”

The former Churchill Community School pupil, who moved into the Raglan Housing Association new build in Pastures Avenue in July, said her immediate instincts were to wake everyone up in her row of houses up as she could see the fire was spreading rapidly.

She said: “There was no smoke alarms going off so I was banging on doors and shouting to wake people up. I had to pull two of my neighbour’s children out of the kitchen window as they couldn’t open the front door.

“If this had been the weekend before me and the kids would have been tucked up in bed and I dread to think what may have happened.

St Georges house fire 3

“I nearly didn’t go home to get a change of clothes so if I hadn’t who knows the whole row of houses could have gone up.”

Four fire engines from Weston were called to battle the inferno and an investigation found it started accidentally due to an electrical fault with the fridge.

Although currently homeless and staying with friends while her children stay with their dad, Naomi and her children will be able to temporarily move into a house next week while the six-month repair job begins on her fire-ravaged home.

Naomi, who starts a new job in Weston next week, says it is thanks to friends, family and old school friends via Facebook, that she has remained so upbeat.

Naomi Carter, aged 26, mum-of-two. Her house burnt down on Sunday. Her & her children Layton and Paris Dunn are homeless. 83 Pasters Avenue. St Georges.

She said: “I was so terrified at first, but I have had so much support and donations of things that this has really helped me.

“I thought I would have to live in a bed and breakfast for a long time so I am grateful that we have got somewhere so soon, although we have no furniture so if anyone can donate anything please contact me over Facebook.”

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Weston Mercury

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists