Mum’s warning after son’s barbecue injury

PUBLISHED: 08:00 14 June 2012

Josch who suffered foot Injury after standing on hot coals on the beach near Uphill  with his brother Reece  and mum Deborah Richardson.

Josch who suffered foot Injury after standing on hot coals on the beach near Uphill with his brother Reece and mum Deborah Richardson.

Archant

A MUM has warned parents to be on their guard after her seven-year-old son was injured by barbecue coals during a family picnic on Weston’s Royal Sands.

Walliscote Primary School pupil Josch Richardson was with mum Deborah and brother Reece when he trod on the hot coals, which had been buried only centimetres below the surface of the beach.

It was only thanks to older brother Reece’s quick-thinking that he escaped a serious injury to his foot, and Mrs Richardson has a stern message for people using the beach – be responsible and tidy up after yourselves.

After they had picked a spot to set up their picnic on June 4, Josch and 14-year-old sibling Reece, a Hans Price Academy student, rolled down one of the sand dunes.

Mrs Richardson said that she then heard her youngest son scream.

When she rushed to him, she saw that he had stood on hot coals, and his foot had started to blister.

With no toilets nearby and the tide out, Reece thought quickly and dug a deep hole in the sand to put his brother’s foot in, stopping the blisters from developing.

Mrs Richardson said: “Thanks to Reece’s quick thinking and the fact my boyfriend Scott came with first aid, Josch’s foot was OK.

“But it could have been a worse injury without that. Parents need to be careful when they’re taking their children to the beach, as I just didn’t think something like this would happen.

“All I ask is that if you are going to the beach to have a picnic or barbecue, please have fun, enjoy yourselves, but clean up after yourself. T4 On The Beach is coming up soon and the amount of rubbish left over is unbelievable.

“It’s not rocket science - keep our beaches clean, safe and tidy. Be responsible, not irresponsible.”

More from Weston Mercury

Festive fliers have been advised to pack presents in their hold luggage to avoid them being unwrapped at security.

Read more
16:00

A couple’s home was raided while they were partying the night away at a police ball. The story featured in the Weston Mercury and Somerset Herald 50 years ago.

Read more

Girls from across the Extend Learning Academies Network in Weston came together for an inter-schools football tournament.

Read more

Weston stroke survivors could benefit from a ‘life-changing’ new rehabilitation programme.

Read more

Indie rock band The Zutons will perform in Bristol next spring.

Read more

Work has begun on Weston’s £11million flagship food and drink centre, which is expected to bring 250 jobs to the area.

Read more
10:50

Significant improvements to day-time operations at Weston General Hospital’s A&E have been recognised by health inspectors.

Read more

An action-packed superhero adventure comes to cinema screens next week, and Mercury readers will win tickets to see it.

Read more

The family of a Worle youngster have praised their son’s bravery after he won a Somerset Award.

Read more
Yesterday, 20:00

A sing-along screening of 2017’s smash hit The Greatest Showman will take place at Bristol Hippodrome.

Read more

Most Read News

Read Online

Image
Read the Weston Worle and Somerset Mercury e-edition E-edition

Local Weather

Heavy Showers

Heavy Showers

max temp: 11°C

min temp: 4°C

Useful Links

Advertise in the paper
Submit a Story
Subscribe to the paper
Competitions
Send Your Letters
Order Photos
Family notices
iwitness24
Facebook
Twitter
Reader Travel

Family Notices 24

Newsletter Sign Up

Weston Mercury twice-weekly newsletter
Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists