Parents appeal for Christmas gifts to donate to families in need
- Credit: Archant
Weston parents are appealing for gift donations to give to families in need this Christmas.
Sara Slee set up the Every Child Needs Christmas campaign in Weston in 2013 and it has now expanded to cover surrounding villages in North Somerset.
Sara said: “The basic essence of the campaign is to provide Christmas gifts for children who are less fortunate within our local community.
“We do so for anyone within the BS postcode areas. We set up drop-off points, you buy a new gift suitable for any age child between 0-16 and drop and we collect, wrap and send them to organisations which work with the families who are in direct need.
“We have been running Every Child Needs Christmas for five years now. Each year has been bigger and better and we have managed to exceed numbers of children reached each time.
“We work with many organisations within our BS postcode serviceable areas and the difference that your donations and time makes to the families is invaluable.
You may also want to watch:
“We’d like to say a huge thank you to everyone who has supported us. This truly is an amazing campaign and we are so passionate about it. Here’s to making many more children happy this Christmas.”
The campaign is being organised by Sara, Libby Thompson and Khurm Arshad.
- 1 Grand Pier's future uncertain as Weston enters tier 3
- 2 Sewage emissions report reveals Weston affected by at least 93 sewage spills in the past year
- 3 Cash and necklaces stolen in Weston-super-Mare burglary
- 4 North Somerset could join WECA - but faces a four-year wait
- 5 North Somerset to move into tier 3 after end of nationwide lockdown
- 6 Football stadium set for coronavirus vaccination hub
- 7 Temporary traffic lights set to be installed in main road for three weeks
- 8 Weston-super-Mare duo sentenced for drug offences
- 9 MPs brand placing North Somerset into tier 3 restrictions 'not right' and 'illogical'
- 10 New leadership team for charity
People are asked to buy a gift for a child for around £5 and drop it off at one of the collection points in Portishead, Clevedon, Nailsea and Weston.
Ideas on what gifts to buy can be found at www.amzn.to/2fohJlT and details of drop-off points are available from www.goo.gl/xQYGlh
Gifts must be new and tagged to include the age and gender of the child the present is for.
The deadline for gifts to be dropped off is December 6.
The team behind Every Child Needs Christmas is also holding two big wrap events at Worlebury Primary School.
Volunteers are encouraged to pop in during the day to wrap some presents before they are distributed to families.
The events are being held on December 8 from 6.30-9.30pm and on December 9 from 12.30-3.30pm.
Organisers are now looking for people within the BS postcodes to distribute flyers and to people about the appeal.
To keep up to date with the campaign, visit www.facebook.com/childsxmas