Murder victim's brother thanks police

THE twin brother of a man who was murdered in a Weston bedsit has described him as loving and thoughtful.

THE twin brother of a man who was murdered in a Weston bedsit has described him as loving and thoughtful.

Mark Dunn made the comments about his brother John at the end of a trial that saw three men found guilty of his murder.

The men, who bludgeoned, battered and stabbed John Dunn to death at Acorn House, in The Centre, began life sentences for his murder on Monday.

Terence Townsend, Andrew Fuge and Richard Evans inflicted more than 100 injuries on the father-of-two using broken bottles, a knife, a shard of mirror and an aerosol can.

You may also want to watch:

A jury at Bristol Crown Court unanimously found them guilty of murder and they were jailed for 14 years, which they will serve in full before being considered for release.

Mr Dunn thanked police for their work in investigating his brother's death and treating it as a crime against a victim, rather than someone who had lost his way in society.

Most Read

During the trial, the jury were told how the men had attacked the 45-year-old on January 5 after he was given money to buy alcohol but returned empty handed.

He may have been subject to a second assault, referred to by Fuge in police cells as a "noncing."

Describing the attack, Paul Dunkels, prosecuting, said: "After Mr Dunn is lying face down with his bare back exposed, he's slashed, jabbed, and struck with a range of weapons. A formidable armoury selected to cause really serious harm."

Wayne Jones, of Acorn House, Weston, was deemed unfit for trial due to mental health reasons, but the jury did decide he had been part of the attack.

The 37-year-old was handed a hospital order without a time restriction.

Mr Justice Butterfield said: "You took part in a brutal, savage and sustained attack on a small, defenceless man, which must have gone on for many minutes."

A fifth man, Barry Shortt, aged 45 of no fixed abode, who said he was not at the flat when Mr Dunn was killed, was acquitted of murder.

Fuge, aged 45, of Clarendon Road, Evans, aged 54, of Black Lane, Pill, and Townsend, aged 51, from Cardiff, had denied murdering Mr Dunn.

When sentencing them Mr Justice Butterfield said: "The life of the victim was a valuable one. John Dunn deserved to live as much as you and did not deserve to die the horrible death he met."

Mr Dunn said: "John was a brother, father and grandfather to a loving family.

"A twin brother to myself, John was born in West Yorkshire and was one of five brothers.

"When he left home he went to work in the wire industry preparing metal for the trade.

"John always thought the best of everyone and went on to have two daughters and was also a grandfather.

"He will be greatly missed by all of his family.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus