New base for council
AXBRIDGE Town Council could soon have a new base. Councillors are looking into the possibility of buying Axbridge Chambers in The Square, which features an office and a meeting room.
AXBRIDGE Town Council could soon have a new base.
Councillors are looking into the possibility of buying Axbridge Chambers in The Square, which features an office and a meeting room.
The property is up for sale for £220,000 and the town council is now looking into whether the purchase would be feasible.
Town mayor Mike Taylor said: "The building could provide the town council with a clerk's office, a small meeting room and storage and it's in a very central position.
You may also want to watch:
"We would be looking at an investment for the future. It's an opportunity the town council may never get again."
At the moment the town council clerk, Vicky Brice, works from home, where many of the council's documents are also kept.
- 1 Weston Marine Lake outdoor swimming plans reach key milestone
- 2 Weston restaurants reopening outside on April 12
- 3 Modern, versatile living in a historic manor house
- 4 Proposal to reduce traffic on rural roads withdrawn
- 5 Weston project promotes healthy eating for youngsters
- 6 The Playhouse announces reopening date this summer
- 7 Tropicana confirms re-opening plans with first outdoor event
- 8 Weston micropub closes permanently due to coronavirus pandemic
- 9 Stunning detached stone cottage in sought-after area of Weston
- 10 Former pupils become teachers
But councillor Taylor said there would come a time when the clerk needs to work more hours and will need an office for the extra equipment.
Disabled access is also a problem at the council's current meeting room in the Town Hall, but members would have to take out a loan to buy the building.
Axbridge Chambers is currently leased to a taxation and accountancy firm and Mr Taylor said if they bought the property the company could continue to work from the base, until the council needed it, and the income would pay off the loan.