Brexit failure has caused Conservative demise - Nigel Ashton
- Credit: Eleanor Young
North Somerset Council leader Nigel Ashton has blamed Brexit and the Government after the Conservatives lost control.
After 12 years of Conservative-rule, Somerset Council is now a hung one.
Cllr Ashton, who held on to Gordano Valley, said: “It is obviously a very bad result but it is as expected.
“I was told we would pay the price for the dreadful behaviour of central Government and they made it quite clear to us it had nothing to do with local government.
“The only way people could express the shameful way Government has handled Brexit, I totally understand that, but destroying a good local council does not work and we pay the price.
You may also want to watch:
“I did not think it was going to be as bad as it has been.”
The Conservatives had 36 councillors going into the election, but their majority has fallen. They now have 13 members.
- 1 Forest preschool and holiday club set to open on outskirts of Weston
- 2 Weston hotel destroyed by fire to be redeveloped this year
- 3 Weston's youngest funeral director achieves qualifications
- 4 Have you seen wanted man Frazer Englefield?
- 5 Gale force winds expected to hit North Somerset
- 6 Have your say on plans for new GP surgery on Weston Rugby Club site
- 7 Wind and water sports in Weston
- 8 PICTURES: New supermarket opens at shopping district
- 9 Chiropractors report increase in patients with back and neck pain due to home working
- 10 Disruptions to your journey by car across North Somerset
Cllr Ashton continued: “We have lost some really good councillors and that is not good for local government.”
With no party in overall control, parties will have to discuss what they do next and chose a council leader.