Brexit failure has caused Conservative demise - Nigel Ashton
- Credit: Eleanor Young
North Somerset Council leader Nigel Ashton has blamed Brexit and the Government after the Conservatives lost control.
After 12 years of Conservative-rule, Somerset Council is now a hung one.
Cllr Ashton, who held on to Gordano Valley, said: “It is obviously a very bad result but it is as expected.
“I was told we would pay the price for the dreadful behaviour of central Government and they made it quite clear to us it had nothing to do with local government.
“The only way people could express the shameful way Government has handled Brexit, I totally understand that, but destroying a good local council does not work and we pay the price.
You may also want to watch:
“I did not think it was going to be as bad as it has been.”
The Conservatives had 36 councillors going into the election, but their majority has fallen. They now have 13 members.
- 1 Weston will get a bowling alley next year
- 2 Puxton Park pumpkin patch now open
- 3 WIN: Tickets to The Magic Of Motown
- 4 Yeo Valley extends open days for award-winning garden
- 5 Meet the owners of Weston's only seafood restaurant
- 6 New principal appointed at academy
- 7 Man jailed for knife possession offence
- 8 Five sites get Green Flag status
- 9 Doctors could be under pressure if changes to surgery boundaries are not implemented
- 10 Executive four-bedroom nearly-new house near town centre
Cllr Ashton continued: “We have lost some really good councillors and that is not good for local government.”
With no party in overall control, parties will have to discuss what they do next and chose a council leader.