Brexit failure has caused Conservative demise - Nigel Ashton
- Credit: Eleanor Young
North Somerset Council leader Nigel Ashton has blamed Brexit and the Government after the Conservatives lost control.
After 12 years of Conservative-rule, Somerset Council is now a hung one.
Cllr Ashton, who held on to Gordano Valley, said: “It is obviously a very bad result but it is as expected.
“I was told we would pay the price for the dreadful behaviour of central Government and they made it quite clear to us it had nothing to do with local government.
“The only way people could express the shameful way Government has handled Brexit, I totally understand that, but destroying a good local council does not work and we pay the price.
“I did not think it was going to be as bad as it has been.”
The Conservatives had 36 councillors going into the election, but their majority has fallen. They now have 13 members.
- 1 Weston's bodybuilding world champion dismisses misconceptions
- 2 Weston town centre improvement works to be 'finished in weeks'
- 3 PICTURES: Winter Gardens Christmas fayre
- 4 Home gets illuminated with Christmas lights for charity
- 5 New community fridge opens in the Sovereign Centre
- 6 Charity farm commits to supporting people in need
- 7 Spacious residence in exclusive Weston Hillside
- 8 Appeal after biker hospitalised in crash
- 9 A370 to close this evening for first of 10 nights of roadworks
- 10 Support for people with hidden disabilities living in North Somerset
Cllr Ashton continued: “We have lost some really good councillors and that is not good for local government.”
With no party in overall control, parties will have to discuss what they do next and chose a council leader.