Brexit failure has caused Conservative demise - Nigel Ashton
- Credit: Eleanor Young
North Somerset Council leader Nigel Ashton has blamed Brexit and the Government after the Conservatives lost control.
After 12 years of Conservative-rule, Somerset Council is now a hung one.
Cllr Ashton, who held on to Gordano Valley, said: “It is obviously a very bad result but it is as expected.
“I was told we would pay the price for the dreadful behaviour of central Government and they made it quite clear to us it had nothing to do with local government.
“The only way people could express the shameful way Government has handled Brexit, I totally understand that, but destroying a good local council does not work and we pay the price.
You may also want to watch:
“I did not think it was going to be as bad as it has been.”
The Conservatives had 36 councillors going into the election, but their majority has fallen. They now have 13 members.
- 1 Man charged with two counts of attempted murder
- 2 April 12 opening day: Sovereign Centre plans to shake-up Weston high street
- 3 Drink-driver jailed after causing serious injuries to Weston couple
- 4 Inadequate care home responds
- 5 Weston Marine Lake outdoor swimming plans reach key milestone
- 6 Weston restaurants reopening outside on April 12
- 7 Proposal to reduce traffic on rural roads withdrawn
- 8 April 12 reopening: Weston shops preparing for spending spree
- 9 Tropicana confirms re-opening plans with first outdoor event
- 10 Weston micropub closes permanently due to coronavirus pandemic
Cllr Ashton continued: “We have lost some really good councillors and that is not good for local government.”
With no party in overall control, parties will have to discuss what they do next and chose a council leader.