New counselling service to help domestic abuse victims
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
After a year of negotiations a new Big Lottery funded programme will be launched in North Somerset.
Reclaim, a part of Voluntary Action North Somerset (VANS), has opened a counselling programme to over-18s who have been affected by domestic abuse.
This comes after the region saw a 49 per cent increase in referrals to domestic abuse services last year.
According to National Statistics, in North Somerset it is likely 6,700 people could be suffering domestic abuse at any given time.
The Reclaim project offers a free confidential service with trained experienced counsellors.
You may also want to watch:
Doreen Smith, VANS' chief executive, said: "In 2017 Avon and Somerset police recorded the fourth highest number of domestic abuse related incidents of any police force in the UK.
"We support people to explore their experience helping them to move forward to reclaim their lives."
- 1 Gates to be replaced as work continues to reopen Marine Lake
- 2 Man left with 'significant facial injury' following assault in Weston
- 3 Disruption to school transport due to driver shortage
- 4 Weston's four-day Oktoberfest to begin next week
- 5 Council issues advice after collapse of energy companies
- 6 North Somerset runners get ready for London Marathon
- 7 Procession held at beach memorial to give thanks to NHS
- 8 Go Again complete sponsored walk from Ashton Gate to Optima
- 9 Family-run business opens new tile and paving showroom
- 10 Changes to bus services in Weston