New counselling service to help domestic abuse victims
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
After a year of negotiations a new Big Lottery funded programme will be launched in North Somerset.
Reclaim, a part of Voluntary Action North Somerset (VANS), has opened a counselling programme to over-18s who have been affected by domestic abuse.
This comes after the region saw a 49 per cent increase in referrals to domestic abuse services last year.
According to National Statistics, in North Somerset it is likely 6,700 people could be suffering domestic abuse at any given time.
The Reclaim project offers a free confidential service with trained experienced counsellors.
You may also want to watch:
Doreen Smith, VANS' chief executive, said: "In 2017 Avon and Somerset police recorded the fourth highest number of domestic abuse related incidents of any police force in the UK.
"We support people to explore their experience helping them to move forward to reclaim their lives."
- 1 Man charged with rape and sexual assaults
- 2 Man suffers head injuries in Weston robbery
- 3 Mini tornado does damage in Weston
- 4 Rapid Covid testing service goes mobile to reach more people across North Somerset
- 5 Tributes pour in for ‘dedicated family man’ who died in mountain fall
- 6 Banwell traffic will soon be 'a thing of the past'
- 7 What can I do when Covid lockdown eases on May 17?
- 8 Jobs boom as Weston firm looks to expand
- 9 Huge six-bedroom house with flat on Weston seafront
- 10 Weston pub launches eating challenge to win £100 bar tab