Council celebrates Commonwealth Day
- Credit: Archant
People from the 53 nations were invited to celebrate Commonwealth Day by North Somerset Council.
The authority joined organisations across the world by flying the Commonwealth flag to mark the occasion on Monday.
The council invited representatives from the 53 Commonwealth nations to take part in the celebration.
David Jolley, chairman of North Somerset Council, said: “As I near the end of my year of chairmanship of the council, it is an absolute honour to host this event which celebrates the Commonwealth nations and the spirit of community which binds us together.
“It provides a great opportunity for us to join together and recognise the tremendous diversity which exists in our own local communities and get to know each other a little better.”
You may also want to watch:
The theme this year’s was A Connected Commonwealth which explored how nations can work together to address global challenges.
- 1 Large-scale offshore rig to be built at Weston's Tropicana next year as part of UK-wide project
- 2 North Somerset Covid case rate at its highest
- 3 Award wins for Hutton In Bloom volunteer group
- 4 Cheddar 'pump track' approved and new facility could be in place next year
- 5 Executive four-bedroom nearly-new house near town centre
- 6 Claim for judicial review delays school expansion for vulnerable children
- 7 New principal appointed at academy
- 8 Weston pub to undergo renovations to restore 19th century look
- 9 Halloween 2021: What Halloween events are taking place in North Somerset?
- 10 PICTURES: Runners brave the elements at Weston Super Half