Council celebrates Commonwealth Day
- Credit: Archant
People from the 53 nations were invited to celebrate Commonwealth Day by North Somerset Council.
The authority joined organisations across the world by flying the Commonwealth flag to mark the occasion on Monday.
The council invited representatives from the 53 Commonwealth nations to take part in the celebration.
David Jolley, chairman of North Somerset Council, said: “As I near the end of my year of chairmanship of the council, it is an absolute honour to host this event which celebrates the Commonwealth nations and the spirit of community which binds us together.
“It provides a great opportunity for us to join together and recognise the tremendous diversity which exists in our own local communities and get to know each other a little better.”
You may also want to watch:
The theme this year’s was A Connected Commonwealth which explored how nations can work together to address global challenges.
- 1 Disruptions to your journey by car across North Somerset
- 2 GP surgery plans labelled 'unacceptable' by councillors
- 3 Temporary closure of Weston's Marine Lake
- 4 Owners address concerns raised over Weston donkeys during heatwave
- 5 Popular Weston restaurant closes after nearly 60 years
- 6 Opening date announced for new supermarket
- 7 Garden waste service disrupted due to 'ongoing crew shortages'
- 8 Green Party candidate elected to council following by-election win
- 9 Covid warning issued in North Somerset
- 10 Water Adventure Play Park switches water on again