North Somerset Council’s planning website is still plagued with problems – six months after fix was promised
PUBLISHED: 07:00 21 January 2017
North Somerset Council’s planning website is still being hit with regular problems – despite the council’s leader claiming the issues were being resolved imminently almost six months ago.
The Mercury reported last September that people were experiencing regular issues with the site, including pages crashing or failing to load properly.
Council leader Nigel Ashton told a council meeting on September 6 the problems were being fixed by engineers ‘as we speak’ – but the council admitted this week the issues had not been resolved and people would not see changes to the site until at least summer 2017.
A spokesman for the council, however, claimed the work was progressing at a ‘vigorous’ pace.
The spokesman said: “While the planning website is always available to view, we are aware there are some occasional technical faults and we appreciate the frustration these can cause.
“We are therefore currently installing a new database system which will resolve these issues.
“Due to the scale and complexity of the work these types of projects typically take a number of months to complete.
“The work is progressing well and at a vigorous pace, and we are on target to have the new system installed by the summer.
“In the meantime we are monitoring the website daily to ensure any issues are quickly resolved.”
Website users had previously raised concerns problems with the site would affect the outcome of applications for new housing developments. However, the council promised any comments made by residents after an application’s consultation period had expired would still be taken into account.