‘Perfect gentleman’- tribute to grandad killed in crash

A FATHER-of-six from Weston who was killed in a collision with a car has been described as ‘the perfect gentleman’.

Ernest Brown, aged 80, had been returning from visiting a friend in hospital before tragedy struck in Clevedon Road at about 4pm on November 15.

The grandfather-of-12 was involved in a collision with a car on the night of Weston carnival and died from his injuries at the scene.

Ernest had five great-grandchildren and lived with his 79-year-old wife of 47 years, Joan.

His children, who say he was fit and well at the time of the accident, said he loved Weston since moving to the resort in 1973 and enjoyed nothing more than walking along the seafront.

You may also want to watch:

A statement from the family said: “All the cards from neighbours and friends describe him as the perfect gentleman. He talked to everybody and lots of people knew him.

“He is from London so we have lots family there and he would always make the effort to go back for family occasions and would go to all the grandchildren’s birthdays.

Most Read

“He was always there for us and will be missed.”

Joan and Ernest met while working together at a pub in Kent and their children are aged between 39 and 53. Ernest, who was one of 14 brothers and sisters, completed national service in the RAF as an ambulance driver.

He went on to become an engineer and worked as an inspector at Westlands, which is now Weston’s Helicopter Museum. He was an active member of the Legionnaires skittle team for 40 years and had a passion for greyhounds, which he owned and raced.

His family says he was an avid follower of Charlton Athletic Football Club and a keen gardener, who will be missed by all that knew him.

The family statement added: “We will hold him close within our hearts and there he will remain to walk throughout our lives until we meet again.”

? TO LEAVE a tribute to Ernest log onto www.westonmercury.co.uk

? Chris Biddick of South Street in Wells appeared at North Somerset Courthouse in St Georges on November 17 charged with causing death by dangerous driving, taking a vehicle without consent and driving without insurance and was due to appear at Bristol Crown Court yesterday (Wed). The 47-year-old was remanded in custody.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus