Swimming club stalwart dies aged 90
- Credit: Archant
A FORMER Royal Navy serviceman who played a key role in Weston Swimming Club and the town’s Hildesheim Twinning Association has died aged 90.
Douglas Coles, of Farndale Road, died on Saturday, and was the eldest son of Albert and Gertie Coles of Hurst Road, and brother to Edna, Roy and John.
Doug had celebrated with family and friends on June 7 to mark both his 90th birthday and his 67th wedding anniversary with wife Joan, who he met in Winscombe in 1946.
At the time, Doug was serving on a minesweeper in the English Channel. He had joined the Royal Navy at 18, and went on to be awarded the Atlantic Star and the Burma Star for service in the Atlantic and Far East. He later helped with the post-war repatriation of personnel to Australia and New Zealand, and in atomic tests on Christmas Island.
On returning home, Doug joined his father in a painting, decorating and chimney sweeping business.
You may also want to watch:
He captained the swimming club for six years, and served as a coach and teacher for more than 30 years. In 1982 he was awarded the Locking Trophy for service to Weston’s youth.
He frequently won prizes in Weston’s gardening and flower shows, and was a carpentry enthusiast and keen bridge player.
- 1 Weston pub to undergo renovations to restore 19th century look
- 2 Large-scale offshore rig to be built at Weston's Tropicana next year as part of UK-wide project
- 3 PICTURES: Runners brave the elements at Weston Super Half
- 4 North Somerset risks 43,000 false-negative PCRs after lab mix up
- 5 Weston families 'deciding between keeping children warm or fed'
- 6 Wheelchair Rugby Gold medallist surprises Weston pupils
- 7 Weston will get a bowling alley next year
- 8 Council rejected for grant to preserve Iron Age monument
- 9 Bleadon-cold: Council's gritters return with sustainable fuel
- 10 Rotary club plants thousands of flowers for charity
He is survived by Joan, daughter Jeanette, and sons Michael and Robert, plus six grandchildren and one great-grandson.