Hospice hopes to raise more than £10k through open gardens scheme
- Credit: Archant
Beautiful gardens across Somerset will be opened to the public in aid of Weston Hospicecare this summer.
The charity's Open Gardens initiative is now in its third year, and looking to top the £10,000 total it raised in 2018.
The project runs through the summer months and sees people or businesses opening up their gardens to host the public for a get-together to raise money for the charity.
The featured gardens are usually off-limits to visitors, but are opened for one or two days to showcase the creativity and horticultural prowess within.
Home-made refreshments are typically available too, making them the perfect outing for a summer afternoon.
You may also want to watch:
Already this year, gardens in Weston, Locking, Burnham, Highbridge and Congresbury are taking part, with open days scheduled from May through to September - though more gardens are expected to be added to the list.
Fundraiser Sue Harding said: "We had a fabulous Open Gardens programme last year and we are delighted to see our first eight gardens booked in already for the summer ahead.
- 1 Popular food festival returns to Weston this weekend
- 2 Teenager charged with murder in Weston
- 3 Engaged couple thank new friends for 'special' night at Weston restaurant
- 4 Recycling centres set to be 'very busy' due to ease in lockdown restrictions
- 5 Will garden village be revived?
- 6 Arrest made following death of man in Weston attack
- 7 Man charged with two counts of attempted murder
- 8 Worle man becomes South West's record blood plasma donor
- 9 How to order free Covid home tests
- 10 Flag stolen during period of national mourning
"After raising more than £10,000 in 2018 we hope can beat that figure in 2019.
"The hospice relies on the community to help fund 80% of the charity's total operating costs and the Open Gardens programme helps raise money and allows us to engage with our supporters."
Below are the confirmed dates so far for the 2019 programme:
- May 25, from 3pm - 6 Beechwood Avenue, Locking.
- June 2, 11am-4pm - Yeo Meads, High Street, Congresbury
- June 9, 2-4.30pm - 178 Burnham Road, Highbridge
- June 9, 1.30-4.30pm - 14 Eskdale Close, Weston
- June 29, 2.30-5pm - Old Rectory Garden Party, The Old Rectory, opposite The Golden Lion, Broad Street, Wrington
- June 30, 2-5pm - 6 Brightstowe Road, Burnham
- July 7, 2-4pm - 9 Ash Grove, Uphill
- July 21, 2-5pm - 43 Golf Links Road, Burnham
- August and September on Saturday and Sunday mornings - Ferntree House, 30 Diamond Batch, Weston.
Anyone interested in hosting an open gardens event can email email@example.com for more information.