Operation Glitter for night time cyclists
CYCLISTS caught riding the streets of Somerset at night without proper lights on their bikes could be fined. Police in Cheddar will be launching Operation Glitter and cyclists could be fined £30 if they are stopped without lights after dark.
CYCLISTS caught riding the streets of Somerset at night without proper lights on their bikes could be fined.
Police in Cheddar will be launching Operation Glitter’ and cyclists could be fined £30 if they are stopped without lights after dark.
Police community support officers (PCSOs) in the Cheddar, Axbridge and Wedmore areas will stop any cyclist without lights during winter evenings. The bike rider will then be given the option of paying a £30 fine or buying proper cycle lights within seven days, taking a receipt to the police station as proof of the purchase.
Sergeant Mike Tripp, of Cheddar police, said: “There is potential for a lot of nasty accidents if cyclists do not have proper lights. The roads in Somerset do not always have bright lamppost lights and a car could easily drive round a dark corner and not notice a cyclist in the road.”
You may also want to watch:
Anyone who is stopped and is asked to buy lighting will receive a 10 per cent discount at Cheddar Cycle Store in Wedmore Road. They will also be given an information pack by the PCSOs on cycle safety.
Operation Glitter will be officially launched on October 8.
- 1 Disruptions to your journey by car across North Somerset
- 2 Worle resident left with maggot-infested bins during heatwave
- 3 LOVE ISLAND 2021: Weston's Jake Cornish makes it official with Liberty
- 4 Could self-driving pods be the future of Weston?
- 5 Overnight A&E closures continue at hospital
- 6 Manchester United legends and All Stars put on nine-goal thriller at Cheddar
- 7 Council hopes to reopen Weston Marine Lake later this week
- 8 Versatile extended cottage with annexe in rural village
- 9 Green Party candidate elected to council following by-election win
- 10 Temporary closure of Weston's Marine Lake