Out of the fryer and into the fire
A TAKEAWAY in Worle looks set to be closed for at least three weeks after a blaze broke out while it was doing a roaring trade. Rob Ktoris, who runs Worle Fish Bar, on High Street, was busy serving customers at 9pm on Friday, July 7, when the range in the
A TAKEAWAY in Worle looks set to be closed for at least three weeks after a blaze broke out while it was doing a roaring trade.Rob Ktoris, who runs Worle Fish Bar, on High Street, was busy serving customers at 9pm on Friday, July 7, when the range in the shop caught fire.The blaze began when a belt in the shop's extractor fan got stuck, overheated, and burst into flames which then spread up the ducting to the ceiling.The fire left holes in the shop roof, burnt through the electrics and gas main, and left the premises, and Worle Florists next door, and the flat above it, filled with smoke. Mr Ktoris, who runs the business with his wife, Louise, and employs 13 staff, reckons he will have to throw away £15,000 of food as a result of the fire.He estimates it will take between three and five weeks to repair the damage.Mr Ktoris credits the firefighters who were on the scene for two hours with saving the building, which he believes would otherwise have been completely destroyed.He said: "If it wasn't for the firefighters, we'd have lost the whole building. Another few minutes, and it would have gone."The motor which powers the extractor fan started getting louder, and before we knew it, the range was alight and we had to evacuate and call the fire brigade."We were extremely busy. It was the busiest night we'd had for a long time."I've had several similar businesses and it's the first time this has ever happened to me."The shop was spotless before the fire. Now there's not one thing that's inside that's clean."But we'll be back trading again as soon as we possibly can.