Parents alerted after child approached by stranger
PUBLISHED: 13:00 29 June 2012
HUNDREDS of parents have been warned after a stranger approached a youngster in Worle and offered them a lift.
The youngster, a pupil at St Martin’s School in Spring Hill, was approached by a man in a black car in Mead Vale at about 5.30pm on Monday.
The incident led to a mass text and letter mailout by St Martin’s and Mendip Green First School in nearby Greenwood Road.
The parent of a school pupil said Monday’s events had ‘scared’ parents in the area following a similar incident in November when two 10-year-olds were approached by a man in a black 4x4 in Ebdon Road, Worle.
A police spokesman, however, stressed yesterday (Weds) that there is no evidence to suggest there is a link between the two incidents.
The youngster involved was cycling home when the car pulled up and the driver, a man in his 20s, asked him if he wanted a lift home.
The boy declined and immediately went home, where he told his mother.
She immediately notified the school, which sent out a text to parents the following day. The text sent out by St Martin’s read: “Stranger danger: a man in a black car approached a pupil and offered lift. Please remind children to be aware.”
Mendip Green sent out a letter to parents the same day.
Parent Kellie Pearce, whose nine-year-old daughter Jazmine attends St Martin’s, said: “When I got the text I was obviously a bit scared. I now make sure that I drop my daughter off at the gates in the morning, and pick her up from them in the afternoon.
“I’ve spoken to lots of parents and we are all concerned about it, especially after a similar thing happened last year.
“You think when you send your child to school they will be safe, but there’s always a danger there.”
A spokesman for St Martin’s said: “A pupil was approached by a man in a black car.
“The child did not get in. He told his mum, she came into school to let us know and we informed the police and the surrounding schools so they were aware.”
A police spokesman said the incident had been reported to the force, and it was ‘not being treated as a criminal incident’.
He added: “There is no evidence to suggest that this was linked to an incident which was reported to us in November.”
Investigations are ongoing in relation to the incident in November.