Parklands plans up for discussion

PUBLISHED: 14:00 15 July 2012

An artist's impression of homes in the phase two development

An artist's impression of homes in the phase two development

St Modwen

AN APPLICATION to build more homes at the former RAF Locking site will come under close scrutiny from councillors on Thursday.

Last month North Somerset Council’s deputy leader Elfan Ap Rees called in developer St Modwen’s application to begin the second phase of home-building at the site.

He said the firm had to do more to create employment – a key stipulation in its initial agreement between the authority and the developer – and the application could be sent back to the drawing board if councillors at the south area planning committee deem it unsatisfactory.

The second phase of the £400million development would see 150 homes built at the former airbase.

But, speaking last month, Cllr Ap Rees said: “My main concern is that we have yet to see any employment generated at the site.

“Although there are plans to build employment space, we agreed to phase one of the development on the understanding that that would provide employment.

“I think it’s premature to have an application for phase two until they have actually started creating something which will produce jobs.”

Related articles

Most Read

Latest from the Weston Mercury

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists