Pensioner, 88, suffers broken nose and wrist in Weston robbery
- Credit: Archant
An 88-year-old woman suffered a broken nose, a fractured wrist and severe bruising after she was robbed in Weston-super-Mare in the middle of the day.
The victim and her husband were walking in Colonel Stephens Way, off Milton Road, at 1.50pm on January 10 when someone snatched her handbag causing her to fall to the ground.
The offender ran off down an alleyway leading to Oakford Avenue and the bag was recovered later - with the cash and bank card missing.
The police have branded the crime ‘despicable’ and released shocking images of the victim to appeal for information.
Police have released shocking images of the victim to appeal for information on the ‘despicable crime’.
Detective Constable Matthew Stevenson, from Avon and Somerset Constabulary, said: “I’m sure these images will shock people who will be horrified someone can target a vulnerable elderly woman in such a way.
“This is a despicable crime and we need the public’s help to identify the person responsible and bring them to justice.
- 1 Two Weston men charged with murder after man dies in Wiveliscombe
- 2 ITV This Morning to broadcast live from Weston
- 3 Lovely views from large bungalow in sought-after village
- 4 Police rescue broken down bride - and get her to the wedding on time
- 5 Grand Pier unveils jam-packed Platinum Jubilee Celebrations
- 6 Haywood Village set for historic first-ever Jubilee celebration
- 7 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
- 8 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 9 Police hunt suspected arsonist after rampage in Weston
- 10 Busy route to Bristol to close for roadworks next week
“Did you see what happened?
“Did you see anyone running away from Colonel Stephens Way and discarding items around the time?
“Or, did you capture anything on your dashcam as you drove through the area?
“Information, no matter how insignificant you might think it is, might prove crucial to us finding whoever is responsible.”
A 30-year-old woman has been arrested on suspicion of robbery and has since been released under investigation.
If you can help, call the police on 101 and quote the call handler reference 5219006773.
Information can also be reported anonymously to Crimestoppers on 0800 555111.