Fire breaks out on Grand Pier go-karts
- Credit: Archant
Visitors had to be evacuated after a fire broke out on Weston-super-Mare Grand Pier’s this afternoon (Sunday).
A ‘small fire’ was discovered at the popular seafront attraction on one of the go-karts and the alarm was sounded so people had to leave the premises.
Nobody was injured but the pier had to be closed for the rest of the day.
The Mercury understands the pier will reopen at 10am tomorrow (Monday) as normal.
The Grand Pier posted a statement on Facebook after the incident.
You may also want to watch:
It said: “As some of you maybe aware, we had a small fire on the Grand Pier today.
“The fire was contained and everyone was evacuated safely.
- 1 Man dies after collision with car
- 2 Revealed: What the Sovereign Centre will look like after £1.7million facelift
- 3 Sisters take on Weston walk in father’s memory
- 4 Worle pub due to be a nursery up for sale
- 5 Flood alleviation scheme on outskirts of Weston completed
- 6 Weston RNLI given over £4,000 from major technology firm
- 7 Man arrested after vigilant witness reports suspicious activity
- 8 One-way scheme improves safety outside primary school
- 9 Weston police officer faces misconduct hearing after alleged racist comments
- 10 Reading befriending programme to launch in North Somerset
“We will remain closed for the rest of the day.
“If you did purchase a wristband or ride vouchers for today, please keep your receipts or email tickets.
“We will re-issue you with wristbands/ride vouchers on your next visit with us.”
The rebuilt Grand Pier opened in 2010 after burning down in a fire two years before.