Plucky athletes brave the gales
RUNNERS braved the wind and cold weather to take part in a race along Weston beach on Sunday. More than 1,700 people took part in the 2007 Christmas Cracker Race in aid of Weston Hospicecare and some even turned out in fancy dress.
RUNNERS braved the wind and cold weather to take part in a race along Weston beach on Sunday.
More than 1,700 people took part in the 2007 Christmas Cracker Race in aid of Weston Hospicecare and some even turned out in fancy dress.
The plucky athletes congregated at Weston's Grand Pier before making their way down the beach and around Uphill village.
The winning runner was Philip Parry of Bristol and West running team who managed the 10km race in 34min 22sec. Clevedon Athletics Club member, Vito Graffagnino, took second place, while third place went to Peter Monaghan from Torbay. The fastest Weston runner was Samual Poore who came in fourth place taking 37min to cross the finish line.
You may also want to watch:
Weston Athletics Club presented Weston Hospicecare with a cheque for £2,000 and cash from sponsorship forms is still being collected. This year's event was the fourth of its kind and to date the race has raised more than £25,000 for the charity.
Weston Hospicecare, which is based at Jackson Barstow House in Uphill, offers invaluable palliative care for cancer sufferers and people living with other life-threatening illnesses.
- 1 Temporary closure of Weston's Marine Lake
- 2 Popular Weston restaurant closes after nearly 60 years
- 3 Owners address concerns raised over Weston donkeys during heatwave
- 4 Opening date announced for new supermarket
- 5 Summer by the Sea: 'North Somerset is the place to be'
- 6 Water Adventure Play Park switches water on again
- 7 Covid warning issued in North Somerset
- 8 Green Party candidate elected to council following by-election win
- 9 Restricting more flights from airport would have 'profound implications for society', says lawyer
- 10 Yatton development welcomes first movers
* For more great photos, buy this week's Weston & Somerset Mercury - on sale from Thursday!