Police name 18 people charged after Weston-super-Mare drug raids
- Credit: Archant
Avon and Somerset Constabulary have charged 18 people from Weston-super-Mare and Yatton on suspicion of supplying Class A drugs following raids in North Somerset yesterday (Tuesday).
Police officers spent hours yesterday targeting suspected drug dealers and this morning (Wednesday) confirmed they have charged men and women with 60 offences.
A total of 13 men and five women have been charged.
Police say the group, who are aged 18 to 65, will appear at Bristol Magistrates Court today.
The charges follow a nine-month county-wide investigation by police.
You may also want to watch:
Yesterday’s raids saw more than 30 people arrested and 18 search warrants executed.
Speaking yesterday, Chief Constable Andy Marsh asked the community to keep them informed of anything untoward happening in their neighbourhood.
- 1 Large-scale offshore rig to be built at Weston's Tropicana next year as part of UK-wide project
- 2 Weston pub to undergo renovations to restore 19th century look
- 3 North Somerset risks 43,000 false-negative PCRs after lab mix up
- 4 Weston families 'deciding between keeping children warm or fed'
- 5 PICTURES: Runners brave the elements at Weston Super Half
- 6 Council rejected for grant to preserve Iron Age monument
- 7 Wheelchair Rugby Gold medallist surprises Weston pupils
- 8 Weston will get a bowling alley next year
- 9 Bleadon-cold: Council's gritters return with sustainable fuel
- 10 Weston AFC over-50s 'best team in country' after WFA National Cup triumph
He said: “I know how much meticulous detail went into the planning the action and how much hard work went into the investigation as a whole so it’s great to see that work pay off with a number of suspected drug dealers taken off the streets of Weston.
“As a force we are steadfast in our commitment to tackling the scourge of drugs which blight the lives of so many in our communities.
“We will do everything we can to keep people safe but we can’t do this alone.
“We need the support of the local community – they are our eyes and ears so please tell us about anything in your street or neighbourhood which makes you feel uneasy and we will take action.”
* For full story, pick up a copy of tomorrow’s (Thursday’s) Weston Mercury.