Police eager to track down driver who left injured woman and baby in crash
- Credit: Mark Newman
Police are still looking for a man who fled the scene of a car accident, leaving a seriously injured woman and baby behind.
A car ploughed through a garden fence and smashed into a lamppost before the vehicle landed on its roof in Burnham on Saturday night.
Emergency services rushed to the scene, in Berrow Road at 12.15am, where they found an injured woman and a child, but no sign of the driver of the vehicle.
The section of road between the Saxondale Avenue and Ash Tree Road junctions was closed for more than nine hours on Sunday while the debris was cleared and the cause of the crash investigated.
A spokesman for Avon and Somerset Constabulary said the search for the driver is still is ongoing.
He said: "The injured woman remains in hospital with a head injury, broken ribs and a lung injury.
"The infant who was injured in the crash has been released from hospital."
- 1 'We want it back' - calls grow for return of Weston's miniature railway
- 2 Developer reveals plans for 58 new homes on brownfield site
- 3 £100,000 supercar clocked at 142mph on M5 in Somerset
- 4 Police take action against middle-lane 'hogger' on M5
- 5 Man killed after falling from bridge on M5
- 6 Plan for Weston bar scuppered as licence refused
- 7 How romance fraud lost a Weston man his £150,000 life savings
- 8 Temperatures in Somerset drop to -6C - but what about the weekend?
- 9 Weston and Burnham schools could feature in new academies trust
- 10 Stunning house with large rooms and annexe