Poll: Miami style perfect for Weston?
- Credit: Sub
MIAMI is famous for its blue seas, sunshine and brightly-coloured art deco buildings – so could it provide the perfect inspiration for Weston?
North Somerset Council is developing a ‘radical re-think’ of the town centre, with retail, leisure and housing all expected to feature in a revamp.
But perhaps the answer is simply a lick of paint.
These pictures were put together by town and district councillor John Crockford-Hawley to demonstrate what difference a bit of colour could make to Weston.
The colourings reflect an art deco style commonly found along the Miami coastline in America.
Cllr Crockford-Hawley said: “I believe even something as simple as a lick of paint could work wonders.
“What had been a terrible bit of brutalism in Weston College was transformed with a softening of lines and paint.
- 1 Castle Batch monument uncovered
- 2 What are the chances of a white Christmas in Somerset?
- 3 7 rescue pets looking for forever homes this Christmas in Somerset
- 4 Christmas lights switch-on and festivities announced for Weston
- 5 Business park to off-set carbon emissions
- 6 Man sentenced to at least 24 years for trying to kill his parents
- 7 Eight things we learned from the prime minister's briefing
- 8 Strong winds expected across Somerset this weekend
- 9 Tributes paid to 'bright, beautiful, gentle soul' who died after being found injured
- 10 Weston pub attracts crowds for Christmas light switch on
“The centre shops, which are part of the Odeon art deco crescent, are in a terrible state and yet could be so easily transformed with paint and replacement canopy glass.
“Just like Miami – minus the sunshine.
“Having said this about paint, I do draw the line at people painting stonework – not recommended since it adds to deterioration and once applied it needs constant re-painting.
“Leave stone to be its natural colour but paint concrete.”
The pictures have been shown to some council officers, as Cllr Crockford-Hawley sits on the working party looking into town centre regeneration.
* What do you think of these ideas for the town centre? Do you have any thoughts on what else could bring more life into Weston?
Share your ideas below in our comments section, on our Facebook page by searching Weston, Worle & Somerset Mercury or tweet us on Twitter @WSMercury