Poll: No listing for Weston’s Winter Gardens
- Credit: Archant
ENGLISH Heritage has denied a request from campaigners to get the Winter Gardens in Weston listed – although campaigners plan to appeal.
North Somerset Council has received confirmation the building will not be added to the list of buildings of special architectural or historic interest.
The venue is owned by the council but is due to be transferred to Weston College later this year and will be developed into a Legal and Professional Services Academy.
A Protect The Winter Gardens Campaign started to try to add an additional layer of protection throughout the construction period.
One of the campaign’s leaders, Mark Thyer, said: “Obviously we are disappointed, but we won’t give up. We will appeal.
“What we were trying to do was put some protection in. Weston Town Council agreed and wanted to have it listed as well.
“At this stage we don’t understand why it hasn’t been listed because it is such an iconic building and lesser buildings in Weston have been listed.
“We are a bit flummoxed.”
You may also want to watch:
The council’s director of development, David Turner, said: “We will continue to work with the college as they bring their redevelopment plans forward.
“Discussions relating to preserving the historic aspects of the building have already taken place, and we are confident that the college’s proposals will both respect and enhance the original building’s historic nature.”
Do you think the building should have been listed? Vote in our poll and tweet us @WSMercury to let us know your views.
- 1 Virus 'ripping through' Weston care homes
- 2 Dog falls off side of Brean Down
- 3 Attempted robbery prompts police appeal
- 4 Council says it is aware of rat problem in Weston
- 5 Teenager charged with dangerous driving following collision which injured three people
- 6 Secondary school to expand to allow 900 more pupils
- 7 Council reveals cost for new primary school
- 8 Woman's fundraising challenge after cancer diagnosis
- 9 Chef with Michelin star experience shares 'ultimate winters seafood' recipe
- 10 Council tax set to rise in North Somerset