Pontin’s holiday village fire found to be accidental

PUBLISHED: 13:30 05 January 2012


FOUR people were rushed to Weston General Hospital after fire crews were called to a major fire at Brean Sands Holiday Village on Monday.

Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service has confirmed eight chalets at the Pontin’s holiday resort, in South Road, caught on fire and adjoining chalets were also affected by the heat.

Four people were taken to hospital by ambulance and treated for smoke inhalation and another was treated at the scene by paramedics.

Two fire engines from Burnham and a water carrier from Bridgewater were called to the scene at 2.14am on Monday. When firefighters arrived at the holiday village they confirmed several chalets were alight and called for four more engines which arrived from Weston and Winscombe.

A spokesman from Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service said: “No persons were trapped although it is confirmed four casualties were transferred to hospital suffering from smoke inhalation.

“The cause of the fire was investigated and was found to be accidental due to items left on the cooker.”

The fire service has now closed its investigation.

Six firefighters, wearing breathing apparatus, needed to use two main jets, two main jets, two hose reel jets and one foam jet.

Pontins Ltd has declined to comment on the incident.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Weston Mercury. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Weston Mercury