Funeral to be held for musician who played across Weston
- Credit: Archant
The family of a much-loved musician is inviting members of the public to join them at his funeral next week.
Gordon Rodger's funeral, will be held at the Worle crematorium, on November 21, at 2.30pm.
He was the leader of The Squads Showband and was described as an enigmatic young man with a fantastic voice and the ability to talk to the crowds.
The band enjoyed several years residency at Holimarine Holiday Village, in Burnham, as well as private events and weddings all over the country.
They would also host events at the Starlight Room, Weston's Winter Gardens, Hutton Village Hall and the Anchor Head Hotel every Christmas.
You may also want to watch:
In recent years he was a vocalist for Atlantis at Sand Bay Holiday Village.
His daughter, Sarah Pavey said: "He spent his whole life performing music and singing and thousands of people have danced to or listened or sung along with Gordon at events.
- 1 Boy, 17, 'with machete' arrested in village
- 2 Weston Mercury building up for sale
- 3 Mystery of hillside artwork in Somerset village revealed
- 4 Fire service investigates vehicle workshop blaze
- 5 Who you can vote for in Avon and Somerset PCC elections
- 6 Contractors chosen to design Banwell bypass
- 7 Council hits out at 'flawed' report ranking Weston as second-worst seaside town
- 8 Royal Pier Hotel redevelopment would 'help to regenerate town'
- 9 Hot air balloons return to Weston
- 10 Wetherspoon pub closes in town centre
"He was a well-respected and much-loved musician in the South West.
"He supported and played with many of the top musical acts of the 1960s, including Dusty Springfield, Sandy Shaw, Marmalade, Dizzy Gillespie, Herman's Hermits.
"Sadly Gordon lost his battle with life on November 5.
"If you remember Gordon, and you would like to come along to pay your respects, then you will be more than welcome to join us celebrate his life."
The family ask people to make a donation to Weston Hospicecare in his memory, rather than offer flowers.