Pylon sparks power cut

PUBLISHED: 09:00 16 October 2010

A VILLAGE was plunged into early morning darkness when the top of an electricity pylon blew up.

Residents in Wick St Lawrence heard a bang and looked outside their homes to see green, orange and blue sparks 30ft high in a farmer’s field off Wick Road.

Farmer Roger Green, who was getting up to milk his cows, also saw the pylon and called the utility board at about 4.30am on October 6.

Workers from SWEB then turned the electricity supply off to fix the problem, causing a morning power cut for most homeowners in Wick St Lawrence.

Mr Green said: “I was only getting up when I saw the sparks from the pylon from inside the house, it was quite a sight.

“They were going up high, and in all different colours.

“The utility board came out fast and sorted the job pretty quickly.

“Luckily we have a generator at the farm so we could carry on the milking, but it was quite an ordeal getting the cows in again after they ran away from the pylon.”

Sarah Cooke, of Wick Road, said she and many neighbours were woken up by the incident.

Mrs Cooke, who runs a snack bar in Locking Moor Road, said: “There was a big bang and I looked outside, you could see the pylon from far away in the darkness because of the colours coming from the sparks.”

The utility board fixed the pylon and turned back on the electricity supply to the village by 8.30am.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Weston Mercury

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists