Readers complain about council’s Christmas parking plans
- Credit: Google
Readers discussed the news motorists will be able to park for free in Weston at weekends in the run up to Christmas.
North Somerset Council announced it would again give drivers an early present by relaxing charges on the five Saturdays in the run up to Christmas, beginning on November 23.
Cllr Mark Canniford said: "We all know that high streets across the country are having a tough time of it at the moment as shopping habits change and we want to support our businesses.
"This is in response to meetings and discussions with local retailers and we are therefore pleased to offer free parking in the run-up to Christmas to our residents and visitors.
"This is just one of a number of initiatives we're working on to drive new life into the town centre."
"These include holding more events, improving the street scene and action to encourage landlords to let empty space. And making the most of the opportunities that being designated as a Heritage Action Zone brings.
"But these ideas may not generate opportunities if people don't shop locally."
- 1 Four jailed for total of more than 40 years for raid at drug dealer's home
- 2 Man jailed for stealing high-powered cars
- 3 Named: 52 people fined for dropping cigarettes and dogs off leads
- 4 Residents fear mysterious CCTV camera is looking into homes
- 5 Brilliant Bailey signs for high-flying Bristol Rovers
- 6 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
- 7 HGV crashes into BUILDING in Banwell
- 8 Every household in the UK to get £400 to help with rising energy bills
- 9 New boss Hutt 'couldn't say yes fast enough' to Winscombe post
- 10 Two Weston men charged with murder after man dies in Wiveliscombe
The offer applies to Carlton Street and Grove car parks from 2-6pm.
Many took to social media to share their views.
Tammy Searle-Howard said: "What's the point? Come 6am they will be full because of people who work in the town. So make the big one free and bring down the rent so we can at least have a town before you guys kill it."
Anthony Hoskins added: "Why bother there's nothing to shop for in Weston, I can do it online quicker and cheaper."
Christine Miller mused: "I think Westonians should be able to park for free or have a pass for cheaper parking. It's always a nightmare finding change."
Adrian Shaw pleaded: "Oh come on, two small car parks for only a few hours. Why not make the big car parks free all day?
"Stop being so tight for once and entice people to come to the few shops we have left in Weston."
Steven Morris said: "So to get to the few quality shops Weston has we have to park in the dead end areas of the high street."
Eric Cross said: "Never seen so manly ungrateful people, the shops are closing because you don't use them and the council does something good and you still moan."