Readers complain about council’s Christmas parking plans
- Credit: Google
Readers discussed the news motorists will be able to park for free in Weston at weekends in the run up to Christmas.
North Somerset Council announced it would again give drivers an early present by relaxing charges on the five Saturdays in the run up to Christmas, beginning on November 23.
Cllr Mark Canniford said: "We all know that high streets across the country are having a tough time of it at the moment as shopping habits change and we want to support our businesses.
"This is in response to meetings and discussions with local retailers and we are therefore pleased to offer free parking in the run-up to Christmas to our residents and visitors.
"This is just one of a number of initiatives we're working on to drive new life into the town centre."
You may also want to watch:
"These include holding more events, improving the street scene and action to encourage landlords to let empty space. And making the most of the opportunities that being designated as a Heritage Action Zone brings.
"But these ideas may not generate opportunities if people don't shop locally."
- 1 Petrol filling station and food store opens on outskirts of Weston
- 2 Armed police at Birnbeck Pier after reports of men with a gun
- 3 Police appeal for dash cam footage after serious collision near Weston
- 4 Surfer sets up new water sports business in North Somerset
- 5 Sun shines on successful Weston food festival
- 6 'Brilliant week' for Weston after April 12 ease in restrictions
- 7 Workshops to discuss new medical centre at Weston Rugby Club
- 8 Weston Lions cancel Real Ale Festival
- 9 Teenager charged with murder in Weston
- 10 Man given indefinite hospital order for killing neighbour
The offer applies to Carlton Street and Grove car parks from 2-6pm.
Many took to social media to share their views.
Tammy Searle-Howard said: "What's the point? Come 6am they will be full because of people who work in the town. So make the big one free and bring down the rent so we can at least have a town before you guys kill it."
Anthony Hoskins added: "Why bother there's nothing to shop for in Weston, I can do it online quicker and cheaper."
Christine Miller mused: "I think Westonians should be able to park for free or have a pass for cheaper parking. It's always a nightmare finding change."
Adrian Shaw pleaded: "Oh come on, two small car parks for only a few hours. Why not make the big car parks free all day?
"Stop being so tight for once and entice people to come to the few shops we have left in Weston."
Steven Morris said: "So to get to the few quality shops Weston has we have to park in the dead end areas of the high street."
Eric Cross said: "Never seen so manly ungrateful people, the shops are closing because you don't use them and the council does something good and you still moan."