CONFIRMED: The Red Arrows WILL return to Weston for the 2019 air festival
- Credit: Archant
The world-famous Red Arrows will return to Weston for the biggest event in the town’s calendar.
The iconic display team will fly centre stage at the Weston Air Festival in June.
The nine-strong team of the Red Arrows will perform its best stunts with Weston Bay as its backdrop in one of its few displays to be held in the UK.
The free-to-attend two-day event sees hundreds of thousands of people flock to Weston’s seafront to witness an astounding line-up of aerial entertainment.
The council’s leisure manager, Russ Currie, said: “Last year we were blessed with a weekend of amazing weather and even better displays.
You may also want to watch:
“It was a joy to watch the likes of the Red Arrows, the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight Mustang and more soaring across the seafront.
“It’s events like the air festival which firmly place North Somerset on the map and make it a great place to live and visit and we have no doubt the 2019 event will continue to position North Somerset as a destination of choice.”
- 1 Man charged with two counts of attempted murder
- 2 April 12 opening day: Sovereign Centre plans to shake-up Weston high street
- 3 Drink-driver jailed after causing serious injuries to Weston couple
- 4 Inadequate care home responds
- 5 Weston Marine Lake outdoor swimming plans reach key milestone
- 6 Weston restaurants reopening outside on April 12
- 7 Proposal to reduce traffic on rural roads withdrawn
- 8 Tropicana confirms re-opening plans with first outdoor event
- 9 The Playhouse announces reopening date this summer
- 10 Weston micropub closes permanently due to coronavirus pandemic
North Somerset Council has appointed Bristol-based Richmond Event Management to deliver the festival this year.
Russ added: “We are pleased to be working with experienced event organisers Richmond Events again this year after such a successful event last summer.”
On the ground the action continues with the Armed Forces weekend and performance arena.
In previous years, historic reenactments, cadet showcases and demonstrations from the Royal Marines Commando have all been held over the weekend.
In 2018, the weekend was the most successful to date, drawing in record crowds of more than 200,000 and offering aerial displays from the Red Arrows, the Typhoon and the iconic Douglas C-47 Skytrain.
The Armed Forces village featured exhibition stands, food stalls, family activities and fairgrounds, as well as the chance to meet RAF crews up close and personal, ensuring there’s plenty to see and do at ground level.
Air displays and further ground entertainment will be confirmed in the coming months.
The Weston Air Festival and Armed Forces Weekend will take place on June 22-23 on the seafront and Beach Lawns, in Marine Parade.