Reluctant hero rescues girls from roof of blazing home

PUBLISHED: 09:00 21 May 2012

Rescuer Dave Evans.

Rescuer Dave Evans.

Archant

A WESTON man became a hero on Monday night when he rescued three girls from the roof of their home after it caught fire.

Dave Evans, aged 52, of Stanley Grove, was out walking his dog with his girlfriend when he saw smoke billowing from the property in Ashcombe Road.

A fire had broken out in the ground floor flat of the house and the girls aged 15, 14 and seven, became trapped in the flat above with no way out of the building.

They climbed out onto the flat roof of the house but were trapped due to the growing flames.

Mr Evans, pictured right, who is semi-disabled because of a back injury and uses a walking stick, said: “At about 8.30pm we were walking up the road and saw a lot of black smoke. Then we saw three little girls come out onto the flat roof and they were screaming and shouting.

“I threw my crutch down and ran up the alley and asked the girls to pass the little one to me. I never thought about the consequences to myself, I just thought we need to get the girls out.”

At that point two men driving along Ashcombe Road saw what was happening and stopped to help Mr Evans.

At 8.40pm two crews from Weston Fire Station attended the scene and four firefighters wearing breathing apparatus tackled the flames.

When crews arrived they helped Mr Evans and the other two men safely rescue the children and the woman from the ground floor flat from the flaming property.

The mother of the children, thought to be in her 40s, was thought to be at a nearby shop when the fire started and arrived back at the property when the rescue was taking place.

The mother, her children and a woman living in the ground floor flat were taken to Weston General Hospital by ambulance with minor injuries and were treated for smoke inhalation.

The fire caused extensive damage to the ground floor flat and crews were told the flames were caused when a canister on a camping stove was being changed in the lounge. It sparked and discharged at the same time, causing a nearby sofa to set alight.

Mr Evans said: “Everyone is saying you’re a hero but I do not think of it like that. My main concern was getting the children out. It was a natural instinct and the adrenaline kicked in, the flames were really high and I needed to get them off the roof.”


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Weston Mercury. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Weston Mercury