Website launched to report illegal tobacco sales
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
A new website where people can anonymously report the sale of illegal tobacco has been launched by Trading Standards South West.
The site also contains information about the substance.
Trading Standards states profits made from the sale of illegal tobacco often funds organised crime such as modern slavery, people trafficking and drugs.
The body also says the type of tobacco may exceed legal limits for carbon monoxide and tar levels by up to 80 per cent, while not containing the amount of nicotine stated on the pack.
Deputy leader of North Somerset Council, Mike Bell, said: "It's important we understand the extent of the damage illegal tobacco has on society, and member of the public may hold vital information crucial to an investigation."
You may also want to watch:
To report an illegal tobacco sale or for more information, visit www.SWIllegalTobacco.info
- 1 Man suffers head injuries in Weston robbery
- 2 Banwell traffic will soon be 'a thing of the past'
- 3 May 17: Village café and sustainable shop to reopen
- 4 Weston shopfront restored to its former glory
- 5 Newspapers often enjoyed grand town centre premises as befitted the self-important Fourth Estate.
- 6 Mini tornado does damage in Weston
- 7 May 17: Which pubs are reopening across Weston?
- 8 Jobs boom as Weston firm looks to expand
- 9 Huge six-bedroom house with flat on Weston seafront
- 10 Council urges people to respect open spaces after rise in littering and vandalism