Website launched to report illegal tobacco sales
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
A new website where people can anonymously report the sale of illegal tobacco has been launched by Trading Standards South West.
The site also contains information about the substance.
Trading Standards states profits made from the sale of illegal tobacco often funds organised crime such as modern slavery, people trafficking and drugs.
The body also says the type of tobacco may exceed legal limits for carbon monoxide and tar levels by up to 80 per cent, while not containing the amount of nicotine stated on the pack.
Deputy leader of North Somerset Council, Mike Bell, said: "It's important we understand the extent of the damage illegal tobacco has on society, and member of the public may hold vital information crucial to an investigation."
You may also want to watch:
To report an illegal tobacco sale or for more information, visit www.SWIllegalTobacco.info
- 1 Man left with 'significant facial injury' following assault in Weston
- 2 Weston's four-day Oktoberfest to begin next week
- 3 Changes to bus services in Weston
- 4 Family-run business opens new tile and paving showroom
- 5 Entries open for Christmas Cracker race on Weston beach
- 6 Luxurious three-bedroom house overlooking Weston seafront
- 7 Home Bargains store opens after £1million investment
- 8 Last chance to share your views on proposed relocation of Weston GP practice
- 9 Hornets' Richardson doesn't take notice of results ahead of Old Centralians
- 10 Pub nominated for pub of the year in national awards