Residents lose fight against new homes
PUBLISHED: 02:41 11 January 2007 | UPDATED: 10:25 24 May 2010
CAMPAIGNING residents and councillors have been forced to accept proposals for more than 40 unwanted homes. North Somerset Council officers and members of the authority's west area committee have been at odds over plans for a new development in Wellsea Gr
CAMPAIGNING residents and councillors have been forced to accept proposals for more than 40 unwanted homes.North Somerset Council officers and members of the authority's west area committee have been at odds over plans for a new development in Wellsea Grove, Weston, but the proposals were finally approved on Wednesday.Speaking before a meeting of the council's planning and regulatory committee, Councillor Bob Bateman said: "It is a contentious one for people in Wellsea Grove but it is the access, not the housing, which is an issue."After all, we have got to fill the housing needs of the people."The plans to build 41 homes were met with strong opposition as 100 letters of objection, plus a signed petition containing more than 250 people, were submitted to North Somerset Council.But councillors said their hands were tied as the land had already been approved for development by planning inspectors during the Local Plan inquiry.Councillor John Clark said: "We went along with officers' recommendations. They gave a very clear steer that we didn't have much choice in it."Bill Caple, a resident of Wellsea Grove for 11 years, said planning applications had been submitted for as long as he could remember. Mr Caple, aged 70, said: "The only thing to change is the size of the planned development - it just keeps going up and up.I cannot see why developers need to build on one of the few green sites left in Weston.