Retired woman raises more than £6,000 for Parkinson’s UK
- Credit: Parkinson's UK
An 80-year-old women took her fundraising to new heights when she jumped on the wings of a plane and flew through the air.
Retired travel guide Angie Horne took part in a wing-walk on July 2 to raise money for Parkinson’s, a disease which her husband of 20 years, John, suffers from.
John, a former Weston Rugby Club captain, has suffered from the ‘wretched’ disease for eight years and was first diagnosed after his daughter recognised the signs.
Angie said: “I so admire the way John has battled and approached this wretched disease.”
She has currently raised £6,000 through her JustGiving page, with the total still rising.
You may also want to watch:
Angie said of her feat: “They told me to keep me arms out with my thumbs up, as I wouldn’t have been able to do it once I was in the air. I kept them out from take off till landing.”
The Wedmore woman was asked by the pilot whether she would prefer a gentle ride or one which involved steep dives and sharp turns. Angie chose the latter.
- 1 Doctor resigns from Weston General Hospital's A&E department
- 2 Mural nears completion in Weston
- 3 Girl, 11, suffers serious injuries after collision with car
- 4 Grand Pier's future uncertain as Weston enters tier 3
- 5 Which services will be open and closed during tier three in North Somerset?
- 6 Fruit and veg shop to continue running delivery service for Christmas
- 7 Town centre park to reopen as wellbeing park for people to aid mental and physical health
- 8 Brain tumour survivor Lyra, aged 7, aims to top charts with Christmas charity single
- 9 Calls to scrap housing plan to create "people's forest" in Weston
- 10 Airport appeal to be heard in the summer
Paul Jackson-Clark, director of fundraising at Parkinson’s UK, said: “I would like to say a big thank you to Angie for taking to the skies for us, what a fantastic way to mark her 80th birthday.”
For more information about Parkinson’s or the charity, visit www.parkinsons.org.uk, and if you would like to donate to Angie’s page, visit www.justgiving.com/fundraising/Angie-Horne80