PICTURES: Annual dog show raises £1k for animal charity
- Credit: Archant
Families flocked to Weston’s Beach Lawns to attend RSPCA North Somerset’s annual dog show this month.
The animal centre, based in Brent Knoll, raised a healthy £1,000 at the event on August 4.
Awards for best puppy, happiest rescue dog and best young handler were up for grabs.
A dachshund puppy, pugs, shih tzus and cockapoo breeds all competed for prizes on the day.
Event organiser Rita Hinton said: "I don't think a lot of people realise, but the Brent Knoll branch is entirely self-funded, so events like this are key for us.
You may also want to watch:
"We provide the running costs to keep the centre going, and overall we feel the show went very well."
Weston saw a plethora of events take place at the weekend, including a dairy festival and vegan fair, which may explain the lower turnout at the show than planned.
- 1 Weston will get a bowling alley next year
- 2 Puxton Park pumpkin patch now open
- 3 Yeo Valley extends open days for award-winning garden
- 4 WIN: Tickets to The Magic Of Motown
- 5 Man jailed for knife possession offence
- 6 PICTURES: Runners brave the elements at Weston Super Half
- 7 New principal appointed at academy
- 8 Doctors could be under pressure if changes to surgery boundaries are not implemented
- 9 Impressive house in a popular area of Weston
- 10 Meet the owners of Weston's only seafood restaurant
The money raised will go towards Brent Knoll's welfare work and helping people with low incomes to pay-off their veterinary bills.