PICTURES: Annual dog show raises £1k for animal charity
- Credit: Archant
Families flocked to Weston’s Beach Lawns to attend RSPCA North Somerset’s annual dog show this month.
The animal centre, based in Brent Knoll, raised a healthy £1,000 at the event on August 4.
Awards for best puppy, happiest rescue dog and best young handler were up for grabs.
A dachshund puppy, pugs, shih tzus and cockapoo breeds all competed for prizes on the day.
Event organiser Rita Hinton said: "I don't think a lot of people realise, but the Brent Knoll branch is entirely self-funded, so events like this are key for us.
You may also want to watch:
"We provide the running costs to keep the centre going, and overall we feel the show went very well."
Weston saw a plethora of events take place at the weekend, including a dairy festival and vegan fair, which may explain the lower turnout at the show than planned.
- 1 Armed police at Birnbeck Pier after reports of men with a gun
- 2 Petrol filling station and food store opens on outskirts of Weston
- 3 Sun shines on successful Weston food festival
- 4 'Brilliant week' for Weston after April 12 ease in restrictions
- 5 Surfer sets up new water sports business in North Somerset
- 6 Police appeal for dash cam footage after serious collision near Weston
- 7 Workshops to discuss new medical centre at Weston Rugby Club
- 8 GALLERY: Photographers capture springtime snapshots in Weston-super-Mare
- 9 Winscombe gardening business gets Alan Titchmarsh's blessing
- 10 Man given indefinite hospital order for killing neighbour
The money raised will go towards Brent Knoll's welfare work and helping people with low incomes to pay-off their veterinary bills.