Pictures: Hundreds of people attend the Whippets Wake Up event
- Credit: Archant
A Weston running group attracted scores of racers to their first ever event.
Weston Whippets hosted the inaugural event, dubbed the Whippets Wake Up, on New Years Day.
The race, which started at Kewstoke Village Hall in Crookes Lane, saw more than 130 people take part in the 2km, 5km and 10km run.
Children of all ages were also given a chance to get involved through a 2km race along the seafront.
The fastest runner finished the 5km race in 25 minutes and the 10km in 35 minutes.
You may also want to watch:
All the runners who finished the race received a medal and water, and the children under 12 received a goody bag, as well as prizes for fastest man and fastest woman.
Weston Whippets is a small running group which started in 2016.
- 1 Large-scale offshore rig to be built at Weston's Tropicana next year as part of UK-wide project
- 2 North Somerset Covid case rate at its highest
- 3 New principal appointed at academy
- 4 Claim for judicial review delays school expansion for vulnerable children
- 5 Executive four-bedroom nearly-new house near town centre
- 6 North Somerset risks 43,000 false-negative PCRs after lab mix up
- 7 Weston families 'deciding between keeping children warm or fed'
- 8 Weston pub to undergo renovations to restore 19th century look
- 9 New officer verification process introduced by police
- 10 Cheddar 'pump track' approved and new facility could be in place next year
The group runs classes such as Couch To 5km, 5km to 10km and half marathon.
For more information on the Whippets, visit www.westonwhippets.co.uk