Grandmother, 77, to trek 185 miles for Samaritans
- Credit: Sub
A 77-year-old grandmother will hike a tough 185 miles from France to Spain.
Sandy Ross, from Rooksbridge, will put her best foot forward in an effort to raise money for the Weston Samaritans.
Her 14-day journey along the ancient Camino Trail will take her from St-Jean-Pied-de-Port, crossing the Basque country to Pamplona in Spain.
She will trek through the hilly Navarra region and finish in Burgos.
Sandy, who worked as a nurse for 52 years, said: “I have always loved walking and have wanted to walk this trail for a long time.”
You may also want to watch:
“This is an ancient pilgrimage walk and as I approach the twilight of my years, what better place to contemplate my past and present life.”
She has been a volunteer with the Samaritans for 20 years and will also be supporting Healing Hands and Link Community Development through her hike.
- 1 Five sites get Green Flag status
- 2 Impressive house in a popular area of Weston
- 3 Man jailed for knife possession offence
- 4 Councillor calls for misogyny to be classed as hate crime
- 5 Yeo Valley extends open days for award-winning garden
- 6 Meet the owners of Weston's only seafood restaurant
- 7 Executive four-bedroom nearly-new house near town centre
- 8 New principal appointed at academy
- 9 Doctors could be under pressure if changes to surgery boundaries are not implemented
- 10 Man sentenced after racially abusing a woman following a collision
To donate to Sandy’s appeal, visit www.uk.virginmoneygiving.com