Grandmother, 77, to trek 185 miles for Samaritans
- Credit: Sub
A 77-year-old grandmother will hike a tough 185 miles from France to Spain.
Sandy Ross, from Rooksbridge, will put her best foot forward in an effort to raise money for the Weston Samaritans.
Her 14-day journey along the ancient Camino Trail will take her from St-Jean-Pied-de-Port, crossing the Basque country to Pamplona in Spain.
She will trek through the hilly Navarra region and finish in Burgos.
Sandy, who worked as a nurse for 52 years, said: “I have always loved walking and have wanted to walk this trail for a long time.”
You may also want to watch:
“This is an ancient pilgrimage walk and as I approach the twilight of my years, what better place to contemplate my past and present life.”
She has been a volunteer with the Samaritans for 20 years and will also be supporting Healing Hands and Link Community Development through her hike.
- 1 Arrest made following death of man in Weston attack
- 2 How to order free Covid home tests
- 3 Popular Weston restaurant welcomes customers back
- 4 Grand Pier to host recruitment open days
- 5 Inadequate care home responds
- 6 Man charged with two counts of attempted murder
- 7 Drink-driver jailed after causing serious injuries to Weston couple
- 8 Local artists bring wow-factor to Weston shop windows
- 9 Reopening: Thousands booked as hairdressers reopen
- 10 April 12 opening day: Sovereign Centre plans to shake-up Weston high street
To donate to Sandy’s appeal, visit www.uk.virginmoneygiving.com