Grandmother, 77, to trek 185 miles for Samaritans
- Credit: Sub
A 77-year-old grandmother will hike a tough 185 miles from France to Spain.
Sandy Ross, from Rooksbridge, will put her best foot forward in an effort to raise money for the Weston Samaritans.
Her 14-day journey along the ancient Camino Trail will take her from St-Jean-Pied-de-Port, crossing the Basque country to Pamplona in Spain.
She will trek through the hilly Navarra region and finish in Burgos.
Sandy, who worked as a nurse for 52 years, said: “I have always loved walking and have wanted to walk this trail for a long time.”
You may also want to watch:
“This is an ancient pilgrimage walk and as I approach the twilight of my years, what better place to contemplate my past and present life.”
She has been a volunteer with the Samaritans for 20 years and will also be supporting Healing Hands and Link Community Development through her hike.
- 1 Temporary closure of Weston's Marine Lake
- 2 GP surgery plans labelled 'unacceptable' by councillors
- 3 Owners address concerns raised over Weston donkeys during heatwave
- 4 Popular Weston restaurant closes after nearly 60 years
- 5 Covid warning issued in North Somerset
- 6 Opening date announced for new supermarket
- 7 Garden waste service disrupted due to 'ongoing crew shortages'
- 8 Green Party candidate elected to council following by-election win
- 9 Summer by the Sea: 'North Somerset is the place to be'
- 10 Hundreds head to town for Weston Bike Night
To donate to Sandy’s appeal, visit www.uk.virginmoneygiving.com