Grandmother, 77, to trek 185 miles for Samaritans
- Credit: Sub
A 77-year-old grandmother will hike a tough 185 miles from France to Spain.
Sandy Ross, from Rooksbridge, will put her best foot forward in an effort to raise money for the Weston Samaritans.
Her 14-day journey along the ancient Camino Trail will take her from St-Jean-Pied-de-Port, crossing the Basque country to Pamplona in Spain.
She will trek through the hilly Navarra region and finish in Burgos.
Sandy, who worked as a nurse for 52 years, said: “I have always loved walking and have wanted to walk this trail for a long time.”
“This is an ancient pilgrimage walk and as I approach the twilight of my years, what better place to contemplate my past and present life.”
She has been a volunteer with the Samaritans for 20 years and will also be supporting Healing Hands and Link Community Development through her hike.
- 1 Man jailed for savage attack on three women at Weston pub
- 2 Person dies after incident at Weston's Marine Lake
- 3 World-renowned cider maker to host family open day next month
- 4 Councillors hit back at proposed bus cuts in North Somerset
- 5 No dentist in North Somerset is accepting new NHS patients, study shows
- 6 Help reunite owner of lost photo found in charity shop purse
- 7 Biggest 'shooting star' meteor shower to peak this week
- 8 'Extreme heat' warning issued for Somerset
- 9 'Unexplained' death at Weston nightclub
- 10 Carers reach finals in top awards
To donate to Sandy’s appeal, visit www.uk.virginmoneygiving.com